Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) PS11-1103: Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Human Immunodeficiency Virus Prevention Training Centers
- For Part 1 applications, where do the required blank STD clinic records and floor plans go? They are not listed in the required appendices and they are mandatory documents for the application.
Under VI application review criteria, the RFA requests measures of effectiveness to be included. Where in the application is this to be included?
Part 1- If funded and we have a larger area to cover would it be acceptable to subcontract out to other states to assist with training?
The FOA reads on pg 73 "Indirect costs under training grants to organizations other than State, local or Indian tribal governments will be budgeted and reimbursed at 8% of modified total direct costs rather than on the basis of a negotiated rate agreement, and are not subject to upward or downward adjustment." Is it correct then that if the applicant is a State, local or Indian tribal government a negotiated rate agreement can be applied?
Any idea when the Q/A will be posted?
- Under Section IV. Eligibility, there is a Special Requirement of a Letter of Support and Collaboration from state and local DOH and a Letter of Support and Collaboration from a University. This part is unclear. Is this for all applicants? Is it possible to have this portion expanded and explained in greater detail? Is this referenced in other places in the FOA?
- We are applying for Part II which requires an organization that can bring state-of-the-art research to prevention training (University) and must collaborate with an organization that can provide HIV prevention training. Is it required that this organization be a state or local DOH? Or can it be a CBO or other NGO?
- Since we are a University, are we required to submit a letter of support and collaboration from a DOH? The special requirement says that we must submit a letter of support from a STATE and a LOCAL DOH. So one from each?
- The reviewer criteria for Part 2 include a plan for providing training-of-trainers and Spanish language courses but the Part 2 training plan description does not mention either of these. Are we to plan for them?
- If an organization is applying for more than one part, it seems they have been put at a disadvantage regarding the number of pages in the appendices. Part 1, 2, and 3 each deserve an equal number of pages for their appendices. If the same organization is applying for more than one of those, they are unfairly disadvantaged by being limited to fewer pages for each part than an organization that only applies for one Part and is allow 50 pages. It does seem appropriate to have the lesser page limit for the added application for Part 4, which is possible what was being considered when the RFA was written. Would it be possible to change the appendices page limit to 50 for each Part, at least 1, 2, and 3?
- On a similar note, can you provide guidance in what you expect regarding Letters of Support? A letter of support is requested from the state (singular), signed by the STD/AIDS Director. Are you anticipating letters of support from the STD/AIDS Directors from each state in the US region to be served? If so, are organizations applying for Parts 2 or 3 in the largest quadrants at a disadvantage regarding the number of pages their letters of support will consume in the page limit for the appendices?
- The STD Intensive Course description ( Appendix E-page 88) states that 50%of each STD Intensive course should be devoted to experiential STD clinical training. The language it uses to state what experiential is " Experiential STD clinical training is a hands-on ,precepted clinical andn laboratory work experience ( sometimes called a preceptorship or practicum)". Does this experiential training include hands-on training with live model patients to learn STD exam skills and hands-on training of microscopy with real specimens such as in a laboratory wet mount training? These types of experiental trainings methods have been defined as experiental hands-on training in the past.
- On page 19 there is a description of the percent time that each PTC should devote to specific training methods ( ~10-20% for Level I; ~30-40% for Level II; ~30-40% for Level III; 10% or less Level IV and 10% or less Level V). In addition on page 20 there is a statement saying: "The sample training plan should indicate the overall proportion of training activites that will be delivered using each of the five levels of training methods". However in a description of the sample 9-month training ( Training Program Plan page 56) the list of minimum number of trainings that are required to be delivered ( 5 STD Intensives, 2 STD Lab/Micro, 3 STD updates, 3 complete ASI, 1 ASI TOT, 1 ASI overview, 4 ASI single modules) are all training that don't allow for components that are Level IV or V. Should we infer that if we add Level IV or V trainings that this is in addition to the prescribed minimun number of trainings?
- Does this: Any other submitted appendices should be labeled as "non-mandatory" in a PDF file.count against the 50 page appendices maximum, or is "non-mandatory" truly a separate file that does not count toward any page limits?
- Page 48 of the FOA states that page limits for appendices should not exceed more than 50 pages if applying for one part, and 20 additional pages maximum for each additional Part, not to exceed 110 pages total. This implies that there will not be separate appendices for each application if applying for more than one award (e.g. 28 pages per part if applying for all 4 parts); rather any document listed in the appendix can be referred to regardless of part.
- Does this mean that if the applications are scored separately, the total number of appendices will be available for reviewers to view? For example, the Part 1 application can refer to a document in the appendix on page 65, etc.? Please clarify.
- During the webinar we were told that the bio sketches go in the budget justification but right below that instruction it says that the biosketches are to go into Appendix C. Which is it, please?
- Did I hear correctly that if we are using the 8% indirect cost we do not have to submit an indirect cost rate agreement? Ours is 6 pages long so that would save pages in the Appendices. Do we just put not applicable next to Appendix F in the Table of contents?
- Did I also hear correctly that we can just list collaborators and not include letters of support or MOAs? This is very unclear since the list of collaborators is so long and the appendices are so limited in length.
- Along this same line – if we are to have health department partnerships and letters of support, MOAs, biosketches, samples of work, org chart, lists of curricula we will be well over 30 pages – we have 14 jurisdictions plus a local health department and 10 staff members and a 6 page ICR Agreement.
- May we include charts or tables in the narrative and do they have to also be double spaced?
- For Part 2 DEBI courses are we to propose a medium level evaluation plan that is separate from that of CDC for the DEBI courses? Page 16 of the FOA refers to the Evaluation Plan and states that we are to determine appropriate medium-term outcome indicators. In the next paragraph it says we are to measure outcome indicators which would seem to mean the medium-term indicators too. But CDC's CBB is developing a medium-term outcome evaluation process for all entities delivering DEBI courses. So do we say we will do that or do we need to have a system of our own?
- Level 5 training assistance is to always be approved in advance by CDC? What will be the process for this?
There are no deliverable hours mentioned for Part 2. So are we to develop our SMART objectives with our own hours for the two types of courses and other items to be provided.
- What is the difference between measures of effectiveness and SMART objectives?
- Page 29 of my copy says that Part 2 is to develop each training event in collaboration with the intervention site point of contacts. We may have 6-8 different agencies from very different places attending a training. Are we to coordinate with each agency and develop a plan to meet all the training needs of each agency?
- I am experienced Grant Reviewer with CDC, HRSA and NIH and would very much like to be considered for the Special Emphasis Panel for the Sexually Transmitted Disease/Human Immunodeficiency Virus Prevention Training Centers Program. I have attached my resume for your consideration. I have a lot of experience in this area and sense that I will be able to contribute significantly to this review. Thank you for your time.
- The slides from the webinar – when will they be on the website?
- I have clarifying questions regarding:
2. Organizational and Training Capacity
b. Part I Training Experience and Capacity
- Can you clarify the difference in what is being asked in 2.b.i. and 2.b.ii. (seems like the same info being requested twice)
- Can you clarify what is meant specifically by "topics" in this section - does that mean a listing of every single lecture that makes up, say, a 3-day course or does "topic" more generally mean something closer to "Update on STD diagnosis and treatment
- On page 27 of the FOA it states that Part IIs will "Screen the readiness of organizations interested in implementing the selected behavioral HIV
prevention interventions....PTC staff will use a clinic readiness assessment tool..." Is this tool going to be used for ALL DEBIs or just the clinic-based DEBIs?
- On pages 25-26 of the FOA, several courses are listed as "National-level courses that support the DEBI program," including "Bridging Theory and Practice," "Adapting EBIs Using Focus Groups," "Adapting EBIs Using Interviews and Observations," and "Selecting Evidence-Based Interventions." Page 28 in section b. Assessment, states that we are to submit and analyze course evaluation data on "...three support courses (such as Bridging Behavioral Theory and Practice, Group Facilitation and Selection of Evidence-based Interventions)..." Are Bridging Theory and Practice and Selecting Evidence-Based Interventions included in the 80% of DEBI courses or the 20% of Program Support courses?
- On page 47 of the FOA where the Appendices are described, Appendix D is described as "Bibliographies of Curriculum" what is meant by "bibliography"?
- On page 47 of the FOA where the Appendices are described, Appendix E is described as "Examples of curriculum products developed (not full curriculum, key excerpts)" - what is meant by "key excerpts"?
- On page 48 of the FOA it states "Any other submitted appendices should be labeled as 'non-mandatory' in a PDF file." - Are the non-mandatory appendices included in the 50-page limit for appendices?
- Should bio-sketches for all known staff be submitted, or just known staff who will be "key persons" on the grant? (Director, etc.)
- On page 47 of the FOA, it states "... if the identity of staff members is unknown, describe the recruitment plan..." is a single paragraph of description sufficient for this description?
- Please verify the website.
- Also, we have a question on the request for application, page 55, section 4.a.ii – what does clinical service delivery system in the HHS Region mean?
- Our 501(c)(3) film company would like to propose producing an instructional, training video for Prevention Training Centers (NNPTC) under the discretionary funding opportunity, CDC-RFA-PS11-1103.
However, we are not able to recognize if our time and effort taken to apply for funding would be supported, in theory, by your agency.
- I am interested in finding out more about this grant program. Can you please tell me how many applications your office received in the last round of funding, and of those, how many were awarded? This will help me gauge the relative competitiveness of the program.
On page 61 of the FOA, 2.b.iii., is the reference to "types of courses taught" the same as names of courses?
On page 63, 3.b.ii., requests a lot of information about the courses included in our training plan. While some portion of this can easily be handled in a table, the more lengthy parts, such as course objectives and content outlines will obviously be part of our appendices. That being said, can you clarify what you would expect to see in the brief content outline? These content outlines/trainer agendas are often several pages for multiple day courses. We have as many of 18 different courses, which would exceed the page limit on the appendices.
Good morning - can you please clarify if the use of tables in the narrative section of our application for funding under PS11-1103 is acceptable, and if so, what format is allowable for (font, spacing, etc).
Greetings Ms. Polk,
Per your request, I am forwarding my request to you via email.
I am inquiring on the Part II Evaluation Criteria for "Organizational and Training Capacity", at the section under Part II Training Experience and Capability (p.61).
Is the Behavioral Interventionist required to have past experience in the teaching, deployment and diffusion of the DEBI program curriculum, or is this a preference?
Good Morning Ms. Polk,
We intend to submit an application for Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Human Immunodeficiency Virus Prevention Training Centers CDC-RFA-PS11-1103. This is my first CDC submission and I would appreciate clarification if possible. Applicants are instructed to "provide a detailed training needs assessment for the U.S. coverage area". So I have two questions. We are located in Region II does that include Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 2. How far should we plan to extend training outside of our region.
In looking at the example of the Table of Contents, it appears an application that includes multiple parts should only have one set of appendices. Do you prefer, in an application for multiple Parts, all appendices be combined into one set or do you want a separate set of appendices for each part the applicant is applying? I guess my question is whether all Parts of the application will be review together or separated by Part?
Hello - I noticed that the Q/A log from the 10/20 webinar was posted but there is some incorrect info in that document that has since been
corrected, but only via direct email questions to this address.
Specifically, where biosketches go. Both the FAQ and the QA log say they belong with the budget, but you have clarified that they belong in Appendix C. here may be other inconsistencies.
The online FAQ also contains incorrect info (specifically regarding biosketches).
Are this document and the FAQ going to be corrected and re-posted?
The Floor plans, clinic records and other requested documents are not listed under attachments a-h. Do we attach it as mandatory documents and do they count toward the 50 page limit in the attachments?
My name is XX and I am applying with Drs. A, B, and C for a Part I and Part III PTC. I live in State A and am affiliated with W University Health Sciences. Dr. B is with Y University. We had planned for Dr. A to be the overarching PI of both parts and then have State D lead Part III with the grant primarily going to State D Dept of Health. Will it be a problem for the money to go from Z University to primarily State D DOH and then be subcontracted to W University and Y University if I am the PI (and I reside at W University) for Part III?
a. 2 page biosketch--What should the investigator include on the biosketch? Do they follow the NIH biosketch format with the personal statement in it?
b. Program income--How do we reflect program income on the SF424A budget form?
c. Indirect cost rate-- We are a public university. Do we use 8% or our standard campus rate?
d. Mandatory and Other Attachment Forms--I am confused on what is the mandatory and other attachment forms? Are the mandatory documents the following items: Letters of Support, Organizational Charts, Bibliographies of Curriculum, Examples of curriculum products developed, indirect cost rate agreements, proof of 501(c)(3) status for non-profits?
e. Abstract-- UAB is submitting a Part I and III. Do we need an abstract for each part or is it supposed to be combined into one abstract?
f. Project Narrative--UAB is applying for Part I and III. Do we combine Part I and III into one PDF and attach it as one file?
g. Budget Narrative-- UAB is applying for Part I and III. Do we combine Part I and III into one PDF and attach it as one file?
h. Table of Contents--Do you want page numbers on it? I thought the electronic program made a table of contents for each application. Please advise.
i. On the Checklist Form Page question # 9 For competing continuation and supplemental applications, has progress report been included Yes or Not Applicable. Where do we attach the progress report? Is this considered an Other Attachment Form? Please advise
Thanks for your response. When reviewing the Table of Contents format, it asks for only one abstract and only one set of appendices, for one or multiple applications. My assumption was that the entire appendices would be uploaded as one document, therefore, all appendices viewable for all Parts, but sounds like we will receive updated information soon. Thanks for your response.
Is my assumption that only one abstract is required for one or more applications, as noted on the sample TOC still correct?
I received clarification from you that the maximum # of pages we are allowed in the entire Appendices and "other" attachments of this application is 50.
Among the requested documentation required by the RFP there are a) LOS from each member of our advisory committees, b) clinic floorplans, c) current morbidity tables, d) outlines of clinic management protocols, etc; these are just a few examples of required documentation that is not appropriate for the narrative section.
It is obvious that if we were to attach all of these materials, it would exceed the 50 page limit very quickly (our advisory committee for example has about 20 members so there's 20 pages just in adv. cmte
Is there a recommendation on how to provide the requisite documentation with this grant without exceeding the appendices page limit?
Can you please clarify if the cover letter, abstract and table of contents should be included with the overall program narrative and submitted as ONE document under "program narrative" in grants.gov?
Does the abstract need to be submitted twice, as "program abstract" (sep. file) in the grants.gov package AND with the narrative?
Or are the cover letter, table of contents and/or abstract submitted separately and if so, where in the grants.gov package (under which mandatory document)?
Hello - the RFP for 1103 requires the inclusion of "blank clinic records" in Appendix H (for model clinics).
Several of my model clinics have blank medical records that are in excess of 10 pages each. To include them all would obviously violate the 50 page appendix limit.
Is it allowable to include the first page of a medical record only?
Otherwise, can you please advise on the expectations of inclusion of blank medical records considering the page limits?