Educational Materials for Professionals
- Heart Disease Fact Sheet
- Men and Heart Disease
- Women and Heart Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation Fact Sheet
- Heart Failure Fact Sheet
- Cholesterol Fact Sheet
- High Blood Pressure Fact Sheet
- Pulmonary Hypertension Fact Sheet
National Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (NHDSP) Program
- NHDSP Program Addresses Cardiac Rehabilitation
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Cholesterol
- NHDSP Program Addresses High Blood Pressure
- NHDSP Program in Health Care Settings to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke
Data and Statistics
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
- Global Cardiovascular Infobase
Information on how heart disease is being addressed in the developing world. Data on demographics, mortality, morbidity, risk factors, and related health care are linked to interactive country maps.
- G8 Promoting Heart Health
Information about this initiative, which aims to disseminate best practices from various countries for implementing interventions to prevent heart disease.
- Heart Disease and Stroke Maps
County-by-county rates of heart disease and stroke mortality and hospitalization in the United States. View by state, racial/ethnic group, and gender. CDC collaborates with each state to produce the maps.
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports
- QuickStats: Age-Adjusted Death Rates for the 10 Leading Causes of Death—National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2006 and 2007
- Application of Lower Sodium Intake Recommendations to Adults—United States, 1999-2006
- Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Registry Surveillance—Four States, 2005-2007
- QuickStats: Percentage of Young Adults Aged 18-29 Years with Selected Chronic Conditions, by Sex—National Health Interview Survey, United States, 2005–2007
- Prevalence and Most Common Causes of Disability Among Adults—United States, 2005
- Reduced Hospitalizations for Acute Myocardial Infarction After Implementation of a Smoke-Free Ordinance—City of Pueblo, Colorado, 2002–2006
- QuickStats: Age-Adjusted Rates of Death from Heart Disease, by Race and Sex—United States, 1979—2006
- Disparities in Adult Awareness of Heart Attack Warning Signs and Symptoms—14 States, 2005
- Receipt of Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Among Heart Attack Survivors—United States, 2005
- Prevalence of Self-Reported Cardiovascular Disease Among Persons Aged ≥35 Years with Diabetes—United States, 1997-2005
- Prevalence of Heart Disease—United States, 2005
- Racial/Ethnic and Socioeconomic Disparities in Multiple Risk Factors for Heart Disease and Stroke—United States, 2003
Guidelines and Recommendations
- Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure
Provides evidence-based guidelines about preventing and managing high blood pressure. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III)
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating high cholesterol. From the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
Provides evidence-based guidelines about screening for and treating overweight and obesity. From the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
The first Surgeon General’s Report specifically addressing physical activity and health.
- Surgeon General's Reports Related to Tobacco Use
Links to reports concerning smoking and health, including reports on involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke and on tobacco use among ethnic minority groups.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Provides authoritative advice about good dietary habits that can promote health and reduce risk of disease. Published jointly every five years by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA). The 2010 guidelines are being developed.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)
An independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention that systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness and develops recommendations for clinical preventive services.
- Successful Business Strategies to Prevent Heart Disease and Stroke Toolkit
Provides information, materials, and tools that state programs can distribute to businesses.
- Markers of Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease: Application to Clinical and Public Health Practice. A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association.
Published in the journal Circulation.
- Guide to Community Preventive Services
The Community Guide summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease.
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program Coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.