Surveillance-Related Questions for FOA PS13-1308
Q1: What are the sexual behavior questions?
A1: Partners will be required to include at least four of the seven sexual behavior questions on the 2015 YRBS questionnaire. All seven (7) YRBS sexual behavior questions are provided below: YRBS Sexual Behavior Questions
- Have you ever had sexual intercourse?
- How old were you when you had sexual intercourse for the first time?
- During your life, with how many people have you had sexual intercourse?
- During the past 3 months, with how many people did you have sexual intercourse?
- Did you drink alcohol or use drugs before you had sexual intercourse the last time?
- The last time you had sexual intercourse, did you or your partner use a condom?
- The last time you had sexual intercourse, what one method did you or your partner use to prevent pregnancy?
Q2: What are the 2015 YRBS sexual minority questions that are required in order for sites to receive the $5,000 incentive?
A2: Sites must add at least one of the sexual minority questions to the YRBS to receive an additional $5,000 per year. These questions measure sex of sexual contact and the sexual identity questions, as listed below. Transgender and sexual attraction questions do not count toward the incentive.
- During your life, with whom have you had sexual contact
- I have never had sexual contact
- Females and males
- Which of the following best describes you?
- Heterosexual (straight)
- Gay or lesbian
- Not sure
Q3: For states that do not conduct a YRBS (WA, MN, OR), are they also eligible for the $5,000 incentive?
A3: No. States must conduct the YRBS to be eligible for the $5,000 incentive for adding the sexual minority status questions.
Q4: Is there support for subsite estimates for Profiles?
A4: Yes. Subsite estimates will be required in the priority districts and schools.
Q5: Can the YRBS project manager also be funded under HIV?
Q6: Do we have flexibility with the Profiles questions? Are there priority questions? Can we make modifications?
A6: The Profiles questionnaires cannot be changed. Sites cannot delete or modify the questions in the scannable booklets. Sites can add questions to the questionnaires using a separate booklet or answer sheet, but CDC will not be able to support scanning or processing of those additional questions.
Q7: Will CDC continue to offer the Elementary School Principal survey and the Lead Physical Education Teacher survey components of School Health Profiles?
A7: No. CDC no longer has the resources to support the Elementary School Principal survey or the Lead Physical Education Teacher survey components of School Health Profiles. Beginning with the 2014 School Health Profiles, the only surveys available will be the secondary school Principal survey and the secondary school Lead Health Education Teacher survey.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Adolescent and School Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
4770 Buford Hwy, NE
Atlanta, GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO