A strategic plan is a document that describes a program’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, and outlines strategies and directions for the program. It is a program planning tool that provides a blueprint to strengthen program activities, address areas for improvement, and move the program forward to new accomplishments.
This kit describes the content of a strategic plan, outlines a process for developing one, and provides guidance and tools to help programs develop and use a plan.
Part 1 What is strategic planning? [pdf 541K]
Part 2 What is a strategic plan? [pdf 194K]
Part 3 How do I complete my strategic plan? [pdf 649K]
Part 4 Can you help me plan strategically? [pdf 520K]
Part 5 Glossary of selected strategic planning terms [pdf 238K]
Part 6 References for strategic planning resources [pdf 197K]
- Data Sources Matrix [pdf 258K][doc 73K]
- Identifying Stakeholders Worksheet [pdf 96K][doc 38K]
- SWOT Worksheet for School Health Programs [pdf 124K][doc 48K]
- Program Goal Review Using SWOT Analysis [pdf 48K][doc 25K]
- Program Strategy Checklist [pdf 89K][doc 37K]
- Communication Matrix [pdf 91K][doc 33K]
- Program Communication Tracking Tool [pdf 92K][doc 34K]
Data Collection Framework
[pdf 71K][doc 33K]
The following is an example of a strategic plan, designed with DASH Funded Partners in mind:
The following are optional tools that DASH Funded Partners can use to write a strong workplan:
- Checklist for Aligning the Annual Workplan with the Strategic Plan [pdf 336K][doc 52K]
- Worksheet for Reviewing Your Strategic Plan [pdf 242K][doc 72K]
- Worksheet for Reviewing Your Annual Data [pdf 156K][doc 96K]
Strategic Planning Palm Cards [pdf 1.4M]
This previously published set of palm-sized cards describes the six Strategic Planning steps.
Strategic Planning Graphic:
The Strategic Plan: An Outline for Achieving Program Success [pdf 544K]
Spring 2009 [pdf 557K] Evaluating your strategic plan.
Winter 2008 [pdf 435K] Finding data sources for program evaluation.
Fall 2008 [pdf 591K] How to develop strategies for program success.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Adolescent and School Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
4770 Buford Hwy, NE
Atlanta, GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO