Historical CDC Design & Operation Manuals for Pools & Hot Tubs
The manuals on this page are no longer valid or maintained. They are scanned documents provided for historical and research purposes only and as a service to the aquatics and public health communities.
These manuals were developed by CDC during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s. Much of the information in the manuals may still be helpful to aquatics staff, designers, and public health professionals. However, the CDC Healthy Swimming website is the most current information on water quality, disinfection, and operation for aquatic venues, thus superseding information found in these earlier manuals.
- Suggested Health and Safety Guidelines for Recreational Water Slide Flumes (July 1981) [PDF - 28 pages]
- Suggested Health and Safety Guidelines for Public Spas and Hot Tubs (April 1981, Revised January 1985) [PDF - 41 pages]
- Swimming Pools: Safety and Disease Control through Proper Design and Operation (June 1976, Reprinted March 1988) [PDF - 3.4 mb]
- Swimming Pools and Natural Bathing Places: An Annotated Bibliography (1957-1966) [PDF - 61 pages]
- Swimming Pools: Disease Control Through Proper Design and Operation (July 1959) [PDF - 156 pages]
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO
- For more information, please contact us at healthyswimming@