Surveillance Reports for Drinking Water-associated Disease & Outbreaks
Data on waterborne disease outbreaks associated with drinking water are reported in the MMWR Weekly, with additional tables, figures, and appendices available on this website. The data on outbreaks reported from 1971–2008 were published in CDC summary reports or MMWR Surveillance Summaries. Data from outbreaks reported from 2009–2010 forward are published in MMWR Weekly Reports. Links to historical surveillance reports and appendices are also available on this website.
What's New in the Most Recent Report?
- There is now a separate MMWR report for outbreaks in the "Other Non-recreational Water" category. This report was published for the renamed category of outbreaks associated with environmental and undetermined water exposures. This category replaces three previously reported categories: "Other Non-recreational Water," "Water Not Intended for Drinking," and "Water of Unknown Intent."
- Selected outbreak descriptions have been added to the supplemental materials for the 2011–2012 report and for the previously published 2009–2010 report. These descriptions provide more detail on selected outbreaks from these reporting periods.
Most Recent Drinking Water-associated Outbreak & Disease Surveillance Data
- Beer KD, Gargano JW, Roberts VA, Hill VR, Garrison LE, Kutty PK, Hilborn ED, Wade TJ, Fullerton KE, Yoder JS. Surveillance for waterborne disease outbreaks associated with drinking water — United States, 2011–2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64(31):842-848.
- Strength-of-Evidence Classification
- Deficiency Classification
- 2011-2012 Supplemental Tables
- 2011-2012 Supplemental Figures
- Selected Outbreak Descriptions
Reports from 1971-2010
* Some of the documents on this page, due to their historical nature, are not able to be provided in an accessible (508-compliant) format. Persons with disabilities experiencing problems accessing these documents should contact CDC-INFO at CDC-INFO@cdc.gov, 800-232-4636 or the TTY number at (888) 232-6348 and ask for a 508 Accommodation PR#9342. If emailing please type "508 Accommodation PR#9342" without quotes in the subject line of the email.