Surveillance Reports for Drinking Water-associated Disease & Outbreaks
The 2009–2010 data on waterborne disease outbreaks associated with drinking water and other non-recreational water exposures are reported in the MMWR Weekly, with additional tables, figures, and appendices available on this website. The data on outbreaks reported from 1971–2008 were published in CDC summary reports or MMWR Surveillance Summaries. Links to historical surveillance reports and appendices are also available on this website.
What's New in the 2009–2010 Report?
- Publication in MMWR Weekly with supplemental material on this website replaces report in MMWR Surveillance Summaries.
- Electronic outbreak reporting through National Outbreak Surveillance System replaces paper-based outbreak reporting.
- "Other Non-recreational Water" category replaces two previously reported categories: 'Water Not Intended for Drinking' and 'Water of Unknown Intent.' It includes outbreaks not associated with public or private drinking water systems, as well as outbreaks for which the intended use of the water is not known. It does not include outbreaks associated with recreational water venues (e.g., swimming pools), which are reported separately.
- Multiple deficiency categories were assigned to Legionella outbreaks for the first time, to better describe factors contributing to these outbreaks.
2009-2010 Drinking Water-associated Outbreak & Disease Surveillance Data
Reports from 1971-2008
* Some of the documents on this page, due to their historical nature, are not able to be provided in an accessible (508-compliant) format. Persons with disabilities experiencing problems accessing these documents should contact CDC-INFO at CDC-INFO@cdc.gov, 800-232-4636 or the TTY number at (888) 232-6348 and ask for a 508 Accommodation PR#9342. If emailing please type "508 Accommodation PR#9342" without quotes in the subject line of the email.