Recreational Water Illness Outbreak Response Toolkit
The following information is intended to help state and local health departments respond to outbreaks of recreational water illnesses (RWIs). While some downloadable documents below are cryptosporidiosis-specific, they can also be used as models when creating similar documents for other pathogens. Likewise, though these documents focus on parasitic diseases, some of the information can be used or adapted for use in non-parasitic RWI outbreaks. All documents can be downloaded and altered as needed.
- Recreational Water Illness (RWI) Outbreak Questionnaires
- Environmental Health Outbreak Investigation Survey: Swimming Pool Venue
- Cryptosporidiosis Outbreak Response & Evaluation (CORE) Guidelines [PDF - 224 kb]
- Recreational Water Illness (RWI) Outbreak Sample Letters. Sample letters for sending to persons and community partners likely to be impacted by a cryptosporidiosis or other recreational water illness outbreak.
- FREE Epi Info™ software. With Epi Info™ and a personal computer, epidemiologists and other public health and medical professionals can rapidly develop a questionnaire or form, customize the data entry process, and enter and analyze data.
- Sample line list to keep track of drinking water-related disease outbreak cases. Please use legal (8.5" x 14") size paper for printing.
- DPDx. The goal of DPDx is to use the internet to strengthen diagnosis of parasitic diseases, both in the United States and abroad. Users can browse through concise reviews of parasites and parasitic diseases, including an image library and a review of recommended procedures for collecting, processing, examining, and shipping biologic specimens.
Submit waterborne disease outbreak reports to CDC via the electronic National Outbreak Reporting System (NORS).
- NORS reporting forms for health jurisdictions that do not have access to NORS
- NORS training materials for the electronic system and the reporting form
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC–INFO