C. difficile germs move with patients from one health care facility to another, infecting other patients.
- C. difficile Prevention Toolkit [PDF -1.5 MB]
- Powerpoint format: C. difficile Prevention Toolkit [PPT - 4.34 MB]
- Clostridium Difficile Infection (CDI) Baseline Prevention Practices Assessment Tool For States Establishing HAI Prevention Collaboratives [PDF - 241 KB]
Tools for Improving Antibiotic Use
CDC’s Get Smart for Healthcare campaign is focused on improving prescribing practices in inpatient healthcare facilities.
- CDC Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs
- Checklist for Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs
- Additional Antimicrobial Stewardship Resources
Tools for Evaluating Environmental Cleaning
- Options for Evaluating Environmental Cleaning also available for download [PDF - 389 KB]
- CDC Environmental Checklist for Monitoring Terminal Cleaning [PDF - 99 KB]
- Environmental Cleaning Worksheet [Excel - 63 KB]
Tools for Long-Term Care Facilities
- Advancing Excellence C. difficile Infection Prevention Assessment Checklists
- NHSN: Tracking Infections in Long-term Care Facilities
Health Care Facility Administrators Can:
- Support better testing practices, tracking, and reporting of infections and prevention efforts.
- Ensure policies for rapid detection and isolation of patients with C. difficile are in place and followed.
- Assess hospital cleaning to be sure it is performed thoroughly, and augment this as needed using an Environmental Protection Agency-approved, spore-killing disinfectant in rooms where C. difficile patients are treated.
- Notify other healthcare facilities about infectious diseases when patients transfer, especially between hospitals and nursing homes.
- Participate in a regional C. difficile prevention effort.
Guidelines and Recommendations
See Guidelines and Recommendations on the Clinicians page.