Table 6. Changes in National Standardized Infection Ratios (SIRs) using HAI data from all facilities reporting during 2010, compared to that from all facilities reporting during 2011, and SIR calculated for continous reporters only: Central Line-associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI) and Surgical Site Infections (SSI) following any of 10 SCIP procedures
|SIR 2010||SIR 2011||Change in SIR||p-value||No. of Continuous Reporters3||Change in SIR2||p-value2|
|CLABSI, all locations3||0.677||0.592||Decrease||0.000||2,210||Decrease||0.0000|
|CAUTI, all locations7||0.937||0.930||No change||0.5677||923||Decrease||0.0005|
|CAUTI, ICU4||0.972||0.989||No change||0.2862||760||No change||0.1265|
|SSI, combined procedures 8||0.927||0.827||Decrease||0.0000||1,336||Decrease||0.0009|
|SSI, Hip arthroplasty||0.970||0.896||Decrease||0.0499||923||No change||0.2444|
|SSI, Knee arthroplasty||0.941||0.857||Decrease||0.0196||929||Decrease||0.0459|
|SSI, Coronary artery bypass graft 9||0.844||0.779||No change||0.1050||412||No change||0.2805|
|SSI, Cardiac surgery||0.847||0.698||No change||0.1226||156||No change||0.6499|
|SSI, Peripheral vascular bypass surgery||0.907||0.745||No change||0.2707||42||No change||0.4075|
|SSI, Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair||0.653||0.543||No change||0.7962||29||No change||0.7833|
|SSI, Colon surgery||0.903||0.796||Decrease||0.0016||441||No change||1.0000|
|SSI, Rectal surgery||1.044||0.744||No change||0.1461||18||No change||1.0000|
|SSI, Abdominal hysterectomy||1.011||0.834||Decrease||0.0036||559||No change||0.0519|
|SSI, Vaginal hysterectomy||1.158||0.867||Decrease||0.0441||201||No change||0.7583|
Footnotes for Table 6:
- Continuous reporters include all facilities that reported any CLABSI or CAUTI data for any location during both 2010 and 2011 or SSI data for any of the 10 SCIP procedures during both 2010 and 2011.
- Adjusted by limiting analysis to only continuous reporters, i.e., facilities reporting at least 1 location or procedure for 1 month or more during 2010 that also reported during 2011.
- Data from all ICUs, wards (and other non-critical care locations), and NICUs. This excludes LTAC locations (or facilities) and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- Data from all ICUs; excludes wards (and other non-critical care locations), NICUs, LTAC locations (or facilities), and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- Data from all wards (for this table wards also include stepdown and specialty care areas [including hematology/oncology, bone marrow transplant]. This excludes LTAC locations [or facilities] and inpatient rehabilitation locations [or facilities]).
- Data from all NICU locations, including Level II/III and Level III nurseries. For purposes of this report, both umbilical-line and central-line associated bloodstream infections are considered CLABSIs.
- Data from all ICUs and wards (and other non-critical care locations). This excludes NICUs, LTAC locations (or facilities) and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- SSIs included are those following select surgical procedures approximating procedures covered by SCIP, using NHSN surgical procedure categorizations that were classified as deep incisional or organ/space, and were detected upon admission or readmission. (Specific NHSN procedures and the corresponding SCIP procedures are listed in Appendix A.)
- Coronary artery bypass graft includes procedures with either chest only or chest and donor site incisions.