Table 2. National Standardized Infection Ratios (SIRs) and facility-specific summary SIRs using HAI data reported from all NHSN facilities reporting during 2011 by HAI and patient population: Central Line-associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSIs), Catheter-associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTIs), and Surgical Site Infections (SSIs) following Surgical Care Improvement Project (SCIP) Procedures
|HAI and Patient Population or Surgical Procedure||No. of Facilities Reporting||No. of Infections
||SIR||95% CI for SIR
||Facility-specific SIRs 1
||Facility-specific SIRs at Key Percentiles 2
|Observed||Predicted||Lower||Upper||No. Facs with ≥1 Predicted Infection||No. Facs with SIR Significantly ‹ 1.0||No. Facs with SIR Significantly › 1.0||10%||25%||Median (50%)||75%||90%|
|CLABSI, all 4||3,468||18,113||30,615.577||0.592||0.583||0.600||2,335||518||22%||54||2%||0.000||0.171||0.469||0.825||1.280|
|CAUTIs, all 8||1,802||14,315||15,398.109||0.930||0.914||0.945||1,307||172||13%||133||10%||0.000||0.228||0.675||1.237||1.892|
|No. of Procedures|
|SSI, combined SCIP procedures 9||2,130||748,192||6,357||7,682.638||0.827||0.807||0.848||1,221||141||12%||51||4%||0.000||0.327||0.715||1.156||1.716|
|SSI, Hip arthroplasty||1,355||181,758||1,456||1,624.199||0.896||0.851||0.944||497||18||4%||24||5%||0.000||0.234||0.709||1.316||1.920|
|SSI, Knee arthroplasty||1,505||264,115||1,426||1,663.435||0.857||0.813||0.903||540||21||4%||30||6%||0.000||0.000||0.659||1.325||1.971|
|SSI, Coronary artery bypass graft10||553||88,225||837||1,074.975||0.779||0.727||0.833||360||23||6%||15||4%||0.000||0.000||0.631||1.172||1,770|
|SSI, Cardiac surgery||317||29,175||154||220.605||0.698||0.592||0.817||62||2||3%||2||3%||0.000||0.000||0.635||1.276||1.735|
|SSI, Peripheral vascular bypass surgery||100||3,558||78||104.646||0.745||0.589||0.930||33||0||0%||1||3%||0.000||0.000||0.752||1.094||1.392|
|SSI, Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair||165||1,218||12||22.102||0.543||0.313||0.880||2||0||0%||0||0%||.||.||.||.||.|
|SSI, Colon surgery||1,150||69,872||1,679||2,108.745||0.796||0.759||0.835||553||39||7%||20||4%||0.000||0.127||0.647||1.138||1.746|
|SSI, Rectal surgery||260||3,643||77||103.555||0.744||0.587||0.929||22||4||18%||1||5%||0.000||0.000||0.386||0.854||1.516|
|SSI, Abdominal hysterectomy||1,223||83,540||531||636.954||0.834||0.764||0.908||193||1||1%||17||9%||0.000||0.000||0.695||1.246||2.220|
|SSI, Vaginal hysterectomy||528||23,088||107||123.422||0.867||0.710||1.048||29||0||0%||1||3%||0.000||0.000||0.727||1,412||1.714|
Footnotes for Table 2:
- Facility-specific SIR data is only displayed for a location group or procedure category if ≥5 facilities reported during the reporting period.
- Facility-specific key percentiles were only calculated if ≥20 facilities had ≥1.0 predicted HAI during the reporting period. If a single facility’s predicted number of HAIs (e.g., CLABSI) was ‹1.0, a facility-specific SIR was neither calculated nor included in the determinations of the distribution of facility-specific SIRs.
- Percent of facilities with at least one predicted infection who had an SIR significantly less than or greater than 1.0
- Data from all ICUs, wards (and other non-critical care locations), and NICUs. This excludes LTAC locations (or facilities) and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- Data from all ICUs; excludes wards (and other non-critical care locations), NICUs, LTAC locations (or facilities), and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- Data from all wards (for this table wards also include stepdown and specialty care areas [including hematology/oncology, bone marrow transplant]. This excludes LTAC locations [or facilities] and inpatient rehabilitation locations [or facilities]).
- Data from all NICU locations, including Level II/III and Level III nurseries. For purposes of this report, both umbilical-line and central-line associated bloodstream infections are considered CLABSIs.
- Data from all ICUs and wards (and other non-critical care locations). This excludes NICUs, LTAC locations (or facilities) and inpatient rehabilitation locations (or facilities).
- SSIs included are those following select surgical procedures approximating procedures covered by SCIP, using NHSN surgical procedure categorizations that were classified as deep incisional or organ/space, and detected upon admission or readmission. (Specific NHSN procedures and the corresponding SCIP procedures are listed in Appendix A.)
- Coronary artery bypass graft includes procedures with either chest only or chest and donor site incisions