Know the Symptoms of Flu
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated. For updated information on the current flu season, see the CDC Seasonal Flu website.
December 5, 2009, 6:00 AM ET
People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:
- A fever or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (feeling very tired)
Some people may also:
- Throw up
- Have loose stools (diarrhea)
How long should people with the flu stay at home?
People with flu-like illness should stay at home except to get medical care or other necessities:
- Until at least 24 hours after they are free of a fever without having taken any medicines that lower fever. Examples of medicines that lower fever include acetaminophen (such as Tylenol®) and ibuprofen (such as Advil®; or Motrin®).
Get email updates
To receive weekly email updates about this site, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO