ERRB Scientific Publications: Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
- CDC. Notes from the field: malnutrition and mortality – Southern Somalia, July 2011. MMWR. 2011;60:1026-7.
- Williams HA, Waldman R. Public health in complex emergencies: toward a more integrated science. National Association for the Practice of Anthropology Bulletin. 2001;21(1):89-111.
- Williams HA, Bloland PB. A Practical Discussion of Applied Public Health Research in the Context of Complex Emergencies: Examples from Malaria Control in Refugee Camps. National Association for the Practice of Anthropology Bulletin. 2001;21(1):70-88.
- Williams HA. Caring for Those in Crisis: Integrating Anthropology and Public Health in Complex Humanitarian Emergencies. National Association for the Practice of Anthropology Bulletin. 2001;21(1):1-16.
- Spiegel PB, Sheik M, Woodruff BA, et al. The accuracy of mortality reporting in displaced persons camps during the post-emergency phase. Disasters. 2001;25(2):172-180.
- Spiegel PB, Salama P. Emergencies in developed countries: are aid organisations ready to adapt? Lancet. 2001;357(9257):714.
- Salama P, Spiegel P, Brennan R. No less vulnerable: the internally displaced in humanitarian emergencies. Lancet. 2001;357(9266):1430-1431.
- Sheik M, Gutierrez MI, Bolton P, et al. Deaths among humanitarian workers. British Medical Journal. 2000;321(7254):166-168.
- Spiegel P. Health issues affecting displaced populations: the evolution of public health response in emergency and post-emergency phases of complex emergencies. Refuge. 2000;18(5):1-3.
- Analysis of contexts of a crisis environment. Health Strategic Response: relief, rehabilitation and development report, WHO and EHA, 1998.
- Spiegel P. The Relief-Reconstruction-Development Dynamic: A new approach to the concept of linking relief, reconstruction, and development. Refuge. 1998;17(4):33-37.
- Toole MJ. Mass population displacement. A global public health challenge. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 1995;9(2):353-366.
- Burkholder B, Toole M. Evolution of complex disasters. Lancet. 1995;346:1012-1015.
- Sharp TW, Yip R, Malone JD. US military forces and emergency international humanitarian assistance. Observations and recommendations from three recent missions. JAMA. 1994;272(5):386-390.
- Toole MJ, Waldman RJ. Refugees and displaced persons. War, hunger, and public health. JAMA. 1993;270(5):600-605.
- Toole M. The public health consequences of inaction: lessons learned in responding to sudden population displacements. In: The framework for survival: health, human rights, and humanitarian assistance in conflicts and disasters. New York: Basic Books; 1993:144-158.
- Toole M, Waldman RJ. Nowhere a promised land: the plight of the world's refugees. Encyclopedia Britanica, Medical Health; 1991:124-141.
- Toole M, Waldman RJ. Prevention of excess mortality in refugee and displaced populations in developing countries. JAMA. 1990;263:296-302.
Top of Page
Guidelines and Methodology
- Williams H, Burke H. A Field Experience. Assessing Refugees' Health Care Services in Tanzania: A Field Guide. Geneva: Health and Community Development Section, Division of Operation and Support, UNHCR; 2002.
- Rapid health assessment protocols for emergencies. Geneva: WHO; 1999.
- Spiegel PB, Lynch E, Patel NM. Continuous quality improvement applied to outpatient health care delivery in displaced persons camps. Refuge. 2000;18(5):31-38.
- Spiegel P. contributor to Chapter 5: Health Services. The Sphere Project: Humanitarian charter and minimum standards in disaster response. Oxford: Oxford Publishing; 2000:215-269.
- Sklaver BA, Managan A, Bullard S, et al. Rapid imagery through kite aerial photography in a complex humanitarian emergency. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 2006;27(21):4709-4714.
- Salama P, Buzard N, Spiegel P. Improving standards in international humanitarian response: the Sphere Project and beyond. JAMA. 2001;286(5):531-532.
- Salama P, Spiegel P, Talley L, et al. Lessons learned from complex emergencies over the past decade. Lancet. 2004;364:1801-1813.
- Nsubuga P, White ME, Thacker SB, et al. Public health surveillance: a tool for targeting and monitoring interventions. In: Jamison DT, Breman JG, et al., eds. Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006:997-1018.
- MacArthur JR, Dudley S, Williams HA. Approaches to facilitating health care acceptance: a case example from Karenni refugees. National Association for the Practice of Anthropology Bulletin. 2001;21(1):56-69.
- Bostoen K, Bilukha O, Fenn B, et al. Methods for health surveys in difficult settings: charting progress, moving forward. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology. 2007;4.
- Burkle FM, Jr., McGrady KA, Newett SL, et al. Complex, humanitarian emergencies: III. Measures of effectiveness. Prehospital & Disaster Medicine. 1995;10(1):48-56.
- CDC. Guidelines for collecting, processing, storing, and shipping diagnostic specimens in refugee health-care environments. Annex of: Famine-affected, refugee, and displaced populations: recommendations for public health issues. MMWR Recommendation and Report. 1992;41.
Top of Page
- Rutta E, Williams H, Mwansasu A, et al. Refugee perceptions of quality of health care: findings from a participatory assessment with Burundian and Rwandan refugees in Ngara, Tanzania. Disasters. 2005;29(4):291-309.
- Woodruff BA, Kaiser R. Violence and mortality in West Darfur. Lancet. 2004;364(9442):1290-1291.
- CDC. Surveillance of mortality during a refugee crisis - Guinea, January-May 2001. MMWR. 2001;50(46):1029-1032.
- Burkholder BT, Spiegel P, Salama P. Methods of determining mortality in the mass displacement and return of emergency-affected populations in Kosovo, 1998-99. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001.
- Talley L, Spiegel PB, Girgis M. An investigation of increasing mortality among Congolese refugees in Lugufu camp, Tanzania, May-June 1999. Journal of Refugee Studies. 2001;14(4):412-427.
- Spiegel PB, Sheik M. Notes from the field in Kigoma, Tanzania. Refuge. 1999;18(4):28-29.
- CDC. Status of public health--Democratic People's Republic of Korea,1997. MMWR. 1997;46(24):561-565.
- CDC. Morbidity and mortality surveillance in Rwandan refugees - Burundi and Zaire, 1994. MMWR. 1996;45(05):104-107.
- CDC. Implementation of health initiatives during a cease-fire - Sudan, 1995. MMWR. 1995;44(23):433-436.
- CDC. Health status of displaced persons following civil war - Burundi, December 1993-January 1994. MMWR. 1994;43(38):701-703.
- Group GE. Public health impact of Rwandan refugee crisis: what happened in Goma, Zaire, in July, 1994? Lancet. 1995.
- Woodruff B, Toole M, Rodrigue D. Disease surveillance and control after a flood in Khartoum, Sudan - 1988. Disasters. 1990;14:151-163.
Top of Page