- Cold or Flu
- Middle ear fluid (Otitis Media with Effusion, OME)
- Viral Sore Throat
You have been diagnosed with an illness caused by a virus. Antibiotics do not cure viral infections. If given when not needed, antibiotics can be harmful. The treatments prescribed below will help you feel better while your bodyâ€™s own defenses are fighting the virus.
- Drink extra water and juice.
- Use cool mist vaporizer or saline nasal spray to relieve congestion.
- For sore throats, use ice chips or sore throat spray; lozenges for older children and adults.
- Fever or aches:
- Ear pain:
Use medicines according to the package instructions or as directed by your doctor. Stop the medication when the symptoms get better.
- If not improved in days, if new symptoms occur, or if you have other concerns, please call or return to the office for a recheck.
For More Information call 1-800-CDC-INFO or visit www.cdc.gov/getsmart
Department of Health and Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Images and logos on this website which are trademarked/copyrighted or used with permission of the trademark/copyright or logo holder are not in the public domain. These images and logos have been licensed for or used with permission in the materials provided on this website. The materials in the form presented on this website may be used without seeking further permission. Any other use of trademarked/copyrighted images or logos requires permission from the trademark/copyright holder...more
This graphic notice means that you are leaving an HHS Web site. For more information, please see the Exit Notification and Disclaimer policy.