Genomic Workforce Competencies
History & Background
“The findings and conclusions in these presentations and reports have not been formally disseminated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and should not be construed to represent any agency determination or policy.”
- External Expert Panel for Workforce Development[PDF 1.5 MB] (2000)
Background document covering the period before 1988 (public health in dilemma) and the IOM report, through the 1990's to the 2010 objectives.
- National Public Health Performance Standards Program
State Public Health system Performance Instrument (CDC, 2000)
- The Public Health Workforce: An Agenda for the 21st Century[PDF 192 KB] (1997)
Addresses the capacity of the 21st century public health workforce in meeting current challenges to improving the health of Americans. Contains standard occupational classifications and six competency domains.
Public Health Services
- The Public Health Workforce Development Taskforce[PPT 67 KB] (Margolis, 2000)
Summarizes six recommended strategies for "lifelong learning for public health practitioners."
- Public Health in America: Essential Public Health Services (1994)
Identifies the vision and mission for Public Health in America and establishes the "ten essential public health services."
Genetics and Prevention
- Genetics and Public Health: The Future is Now
Archived webcast of the May 4, 2000 Public Health Grand Rounds (CDC and UNC) Impact of the role of genetics on public health work.
- "From Genes to Public Health: Applications of Genetics in Disease Prevention" (Khoury, 1996)
A call for the public health community to assess the implications of genetic technology in disease prevention.
- "The Integration of Genetics into Public Health: A Blueprint"[PPT 964 KB] (Khoury, 2000)
A short synopsis of environmental factors and disease determinants related to genetics.
- "Public Health Functions & Services: The Integration of Genetics"[PPT 261 KB] (Beskow, in publication)
A look at integrating genetics into the "10 Essential Public Health Services."