Breast and Ovarian Cancer: Family Health History and Genetic Testing Text Version
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.
Family History Risk Categories in General Population of Women*
Average: 75 - 80 %
Moderate: 15 - 20 %
Strong: about 2%
*Breakdown estimated from multiple sources:
- Genetic Risk Assessment and BRCA Mutation Testing for Breast and Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility: Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Nelson HD, Huffman LH, Fu R, and Harris EL
Ann Intern Med 2005 143: 362-379.
- Preliminary Estimates from the 2006 Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey: Family History of Breast Cancer by Personal History
Michigan Department of Community Health
- Referral for Cancer Genetics Consultation: A Review and Compilation of Risk Assessment Criteria
Hampel H, Sweet K, Westman JA, Offit K, and Eng, C
J Med Genet 2004 41:81-91
- Prevalence of Family History of Breast and Ovarian Cancer in a Single Primary Care Practice Using a Self-Administered Questionnaire
Hughes KS, Roche C, Campbell CT, Siegel N, Salisbury L, Chekos A, et al.
Breast J. 2003;9:19-25
- Page last reviewed: June 17, 2014 (archived document)
- Content source: