Vital Signs Resources: What Can Be Done
Working together to reduce Salmonella and other foodborne illnesses
See CDC Vital Signs: Making Food Safer to Eat for more on what can be done.
Implementing policies and regulations
- Vessel Sanitation Program assists the cruise ship industry to prevent and control introduction, transmission, and spread of gastrointestinal illnesses on cruise ships.
- CDC endorses certification of food safety kitchen managers
- Compliance Guideline for Controlling Salmonella and Campylobacter in Poultry Second Edition May 2008 [PDF - 423 KB]
- Progress Report on Salmonella Testing of Raw Meat and Poultry Products, 1998-2010[PDF - 329 KB]
- Food Safety Modernization Act – Prevention and Food Safety: Two Lenses, Common Vision [PDF - 998 KB]
Remarks at the George Washington University School of Public Health, Washington, D.C.. on May 19, 2011 by Michael R. Taylor. Deputy Commissioner for Foods, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Draft Guidance for Industry: Testing for Salmonella Species in Human Foods and Direct-Human-Contact Animal Foods
- Egg Safety Final Rule
- FDA Steps Up Inspections Under New Egg Rule [PDF - 258 KB]
- Quarterly Summary on FDA Inspections Under the Egg Safety Rule --Summary Period: September 2010 - December 2010
Track and investigate illness
- Foodborne Illness Surveillance, Response, and Data Systems
- A step-by-step guide to investigating foodborne outbreaks
- Multi-state Salmonella outbreak announcements (2006-2011)
- Foodborne Outbreak Online Database
- CIFOR Guidelines for Foodborne Outbreak Response
Farmers, grocery stores, and places that make, sell, or serve food
- A Basic Look at Salmonella [PDF - 510 KB] (Cattlemen’s Beef Board and National Cattlemen’s Beef Association)
- Quarterly Progress Reports on Salmonella Testing of Selected Raw Meat and Poultry Products
Consumers can sign up to receive e-mail notification when quarterly Salmonella progress reports are issued.
- Grocery Manufacturers’ Association guidance documents on preventing Salmonella
Health care providers
- Foodborne Illnesses: A Handy Overview (CDC Medscape Commentary)
- Diagnosis and Management of Foodborne Illnesses: A Primer for Physicians
- Just for Kids
- USDA Fact Sheets for Consumers
- 7 Tips for Cleaning Fruits, Vegetables (FDA)
- Recalls of products that USDA regulates
Consumers can get information about recalls and public health alerts that involve meat, poultry, or processed egg products by signing up for e-mail notifications.
- Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts of products that FDA regulates
Consumers can sign up to receive e-mail notifications of FDA product recalls and safety alerts.
- General information about Salmonella
- Prevention and Education
- Podcast: Preventing Foodborne Illnesses
- Pathogens and Contaminants: Salmonella (USDA)
- Salmonella Question and Answers (USDA)