Annual Summaries of Foodborne Outbreaks
CDC provides an annual summary of foodborne outbreaks and illnesses by etiology and food commodities for the United States. These summaries of outbreak investigations reported to CDC by state and local health departments provide important snapshots of the human health impact of foodborne outbreaks. These summaries help us understand the pathogens, foods, settings, and contributing factors (for example, food not kept at the right temperature) involved in these outbreaks.
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly (MMWR) Reports 2006 - 2010
- Surveillance for Foodborne Disease Outbreaks --- United States, 2009-10
- Expanded Table 2 – Attribution to specific food commodities [PDF - 4 pages], 2009-10
- Table 3 – Settings where food was eaten [PDF - 3 pages], 2009-10
- Table 4 – Contributing factors [PDF - 3 pages], 2009-10
- Table 5 – Settings where food was prepared [PDF -3 pages], 2009-10
- 2009-10 Foodborne Surveillance Questions and Answers
- Tracking and Reporting Foodborne Disease Outbreaks (CDC Feature)
- Surveillance for Foodborne Disease Outbreaks — United States, 1998–2008
- Number of foodborne disease outbreaks by etiology and contributing factor, Foodborne Disease Outbreak Surveillance System, United States ‐‐ 1998‐2008 [PDF - 4 pages]
- 1998 - 2008 Foodborne Surveillance Questions and Answers
- Salmonella in Eggs: An Unwelcome Summer Visitor (CDC Feature)
† The food source of contamination for outbreaks reported to CDC 1990–1997 were reviewed, and possibly modified by CDC staff. Therefore, there may be differences between these data and the original data reported by the state.
Note 1: All etiologies are as reported by the state without confirmation of etiology by CDC staff.
Note 2:The above annual listings include information received by CDC after publication of "Surveillance for Foodborne Disease Outbreaks, United States, 1993–1997," (CDC Surveillance Summaries, March 17, 2000; 49/SS01), "Surveillance for Foodborne-Disease Outbreaks, United States, 1998–2002," (CDC Surveillance Summaries, November 10, 2006; 55/SS10), and "Surveillance for Foodborne Disease Outbreaks, United States, 2006," (CDC Weekly, June 12, 2009; 58(22)/609–615). The data provided in the listing may therefore differ from the published summary data.
Learn More about Foodborne Outbreak Tracking and Reporting
- Reporting Foodborne Outbreaks
- Data, Statistics, & Publications
- Fast Facts & FAQs