Cover Your Cough
Stop the spread of germs that can make you and others sick!
Influenza (flu) and other serious respiratory illnesses like respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), whooping cough, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) are spread by cough, sneezing, or unclean hands.
To help stop the spread of germs,
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put your used tissue in the waste basket.
- If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands.
- You may be asked to put on a facemask to protect others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
Printable formats of “Cover Your Cough”
Posters only available as PDF files.
Note: The images from the “Cover Your Cough” flyers and posters are the property of the Minnesota Department of Health. For more information see About Using Our Cover Your Cough Materials in Your Facility.
- Page last reviewed: December 8, 2009
- Page last updated: September 27, 2010
- Content source: