Flu Information for Parents with Young Children
Flu is more dangerous than the common cold for children. Each year, flu places a large burden on the health and well-being of children and families. An influenza vaccination is the best method for preventing flu and its potentially severe complications in children. CDC recommends that all children 6 months and older get a flu vaccine.
- Children, the Flu, and the Flu Vaccine
Information about the danger of flu and flu vaccination recommendations for children and their contacts...
- Children and Flu Antiviral Drugs
Information about influenza antiviral drugs; an important treatment option for the flu.
- Questions & Answers: Opening and Mixing Tamiflu® Capsules with Liquids if Child Cannot Swallow Capsules
- Protecting Against the Flu: Advice for Caregivers of Young Children
Research has shown that children younger than 5 years of age are at high risk of serious flu-related complications.
- Flu and Children with Neurologic Conditions
A guide for parents to help protect children with neurologic conditions from flu.
- New! Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine in Children 2 through 8 Years Old
- The Flu: A Guide for Parents [252 KB, 2 pages]
Questions and answers about the flu, how to protect your child, treatment, and more
- Why Flu Vaccination Matters: Personal Stories from Families Affected by Influenza
Watch a 1 minute video (MP4 format) about the importance of flu vaccination for children
- Get Smart Brochures: Antibiotics Aren't Always the Answer
Explains why antibiotics don't work for a cold or the flu
- Hand Washing: Clean Hands Save Lives
Tips for parents and children about the steps and benefits of effective hand washing
- Coloring Book PDF: “Are you a flu fighter?” English [8.3 MB, 14 pages], “Eres un luchador contra la influenza?” Spanish [4 MB, 14 pages]
- See also Information for Schools & Childcare Providers
- Which Flu Vaccine Should Children 2 to 8 Years Old Get? [579 KB, 8½” x 11”]
- Page last reviewed: September 15, 2014
- Page last updated: September 15, 2014
- Content source: