How to Clean the Sick Room
Caring for Someone Sick at Home
You’ll want to clean the sick room each day.
Follow these tips:
Cleaning hard surfaces
- Clean hard surfaces that may have flu germs on them. These may include doorknobs, bedside tables, bathroom sinks, toilets, counters, phones, and toys.
- Clean these hard surfaces by using water and dish soap. Or use common household cleaners that kill germs.
Cleaning bed linens and laundry
- Wash bed sheets and towels with normal laundry soap and tumble dry on a hot dryer setting. Hold all dirty laundry away from your face and body. Wash your hands right after touching dirty laundry.
- It’s OK to wash the sick person’s bedding or clothes with other people’s laundry.
- Wash the sick person’s dishes with normal dish soap or place in the dishwasher.
- Page last reviewed: August 13, 2010
- Page last updated: August 13, 2010
- Content source: