Caring for Someone Sick at Home
Check for Fluid Loss
Use this list to check for dehydration:
- Make sure babies have wet diapers. Check that wet diapers
are as frequent and heavy as normal.
- Look for tears when the baby or toddler is crying.
- Check to see how wet the childs mouth is. The inside of the mouth should be wet. Wash your hands after you do this.
- Check to see that children, teens, and adults are making frequent trips to the bathroom to urinate.
- Check the urine color. Clear or light yellow-colored urine means the person is getting enough fluid. Dark yellow urine signals the person is dehydrated.
- Page last reviewed: August 13, 2010
- Page last updated: August 13, 2010
- Content source: