The Flu: Caring for Someone Sick at Home
Learn what you can do to help your family this flu season.
5 Steps to Take if You Get the Flu
- Stay at home and rest.
- Avoid close contact with well people in your house so you won’t make them sick.
- Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids to prevent fluid loss (dehydration).
- Treat fever and cough with medicines you can buy at the store.
- If you get very sick, are pregnant, or are 65 years or older, or are otherwise at high risk of flu-related complications, call your doctor. You might need antiviral drugs to treat flu.
- Page last reviewed: August 14, 2014
- Page last updated: August 14, 2014
- Content source: