Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tip: Swim Safely
Swimming is a fun, active, and healthy way to spend leisure time. Take a few minutes to keep health and safety in mind to help prevent illness and injury.
- Ask a buddy to join you when swimming so you don’t swim alone.
- Choose swimming sites that have lifeguards.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before and during swimming.
- Don’t swallow pool water.
- Don't swim when you have diarrhea. Germs can spread in the water and make other people sick.
- Take a shower and wash your child before swimming.
- Take your kids on bathroom breaks, or check diapers often.
- Change diapers in a bathroom or a diaper-changing area and not at poolside. Germs can spread in and around the pool.
- Wash your hands after using the toilet or changing diapers before getting in the pool.
- Watch children in and around water at all times.
- Make sure to keep your ears as dry as possible to help prevent swimmer’s ear.
This site contains documents in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the file. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader, you may download a free copy from the Adobe Web site.
Page last modified: July 3, 2012
Page last reviewed: July 3, 2012