Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tip: Limit Alcohol and Prevent Prescription Drug Overdose
Alcohol affects every organ in the body. Take a minute to rethink your drink.
- Know your limits. Drinking in moderation is defined as having no more than 1 alcoholic drink per day for women and no more than 2 alcoholic drinks per day for men.
- Choose nonalcoholic beverages if you:
- Are recovering from alcoholism or are unable to control the amount you drink
- May become pregnant or are pregnant
- Plan to drive, operate machinery, or take part in other activities that require attention, skill, alertness, and coordination
- Are taking prescription or over-the-counter medications that can interact with alcohol
- Have certain medical conditions
- Are younger than 21
Every day in the United States, 120 people die as a result of drug overdose, and another 6,748 are treated in emergency departments for the misuse or abuse of drugs. Nearly 9 out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs. Take a few minutes to:
- Discuss all medications you are taking (including over-the-counter) with your health provider.
- Use prescription drugs only as directed by a health care provider, and store them in a secure place.
- Dispose of medications properly, as soon as the course of treatment is done. Do not keep prescription medications around "just in case."
- Help prevent misuse and abuse by not selling or sharing prescription drugs. Never use another person's prescription drugs.
- Discuss pregnancy plans with your health provider before taking prescription painkillers.
- Follow directions on the label when you give or take medicines.
- Get help for substance abuse problems (1-800- 662-HELP); call Poison Help (1-800-222-1222) for questions about medicines.
All Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tips
- Make Health Your Resolution
- Take Folic Acid
- Lower Your Risk for Cervical Cancer
- Learn the Signs and Symptoms of a Heart Attack
- Wear Red for Heart Health
- 5 Tools for Pregnant Women, New Moms, and Women Who Are Considering Pregnancy
- Be a Healthy Valentine
- Prevent Infections During Pregnancy
- Wear a Helmet
- Limit Alcohol and Prevent Prescription Drug Overdose
- Watch for Milestones
- Prevent STDs
- Garden Safely
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Page last reviewed: April 1, 2015
- Page last updated: April 1, 2015
- Content source: