Five Minutes or Less for Health Weekly Tip: Assess Your Sleep Habits
Getting enough sleep helps prevent chronic diseases and promotes overall health. Take a few minutes to assess your sleeping habits with the checklist below. Make any necessary changes to ensure you are getting the best quantity and quality of sleep that you can.
- Are you going to bed at the same time each night and rising at the same time each morning?
- Are you sleeping in a quiet, dark, and relaxing environment, which is neither too hot nor too cold?
- Have you made your bed comfortable?
- Do you use the bedroom only for sleeping and not for other activities, such as reading, watching TV, or using the computer?
- Do you avoid physical activity within a few hours of bedtime?
- Do you avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol within a few hours of bedtime?
- Do you avoid large meals and liquids before bedtime?
- Do you allow enough time for sleep each night so that you wake up feeling refreshed?
This site contains documents in PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the file. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader, you may download a free copy from the Adobe Web site.
Page last modified: February 25, 2013
Page last reviewed: February 25, 2013