Heat and Outdoor Workers
all activity and get to a cool environment if you feel faint or weak.
- Prevent Heat Illness with Acclimatization
- Drink from two to four cups of water every hour while working. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink.
- Avoid alcohol or liquids containing large amounts of sugar.
- Wear and reapply sunscreen as indicated on the package.
- Ask if tasks can be scheduled for earlier or later in the day to avoid midday heat.
- Wear a brimmed hat and loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Spend time in air-conditioned buildings during breaks and after work.
- Encourage co-workers to take breaks to cool off and drink water.
- Seek medical care immediately if you or a co-worker has symptoms of heat-related illness.
- For more information, please visit: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/heatstress/.
- Page last reviewed: June 20, 2011
- Page last updated: September 17, 2014
- Content source: