8. Note the difference in mortality rates between white men and white women. Give two possible reasons for this difference.
Your interpretation of Figures 1 and 2 underscores the magnitude of the problem among white men in the U.S. You decide to examine the data further and come upon a map from the National Cancer Institute of U.S. melanoma mortality rates for white men from 1970-1994.
9. Using the map (Figure 3), list two geographic areas with high melanoma death rates.
10. Referring to Figure 3, give two possible reasons for higher mortality in the places that you listed in the Question 9.
The governor wants to know how Delaware’s melanoma mortality rate compares with that of other states. While preparing for the meeting, you come upon a figure ranking melanoma mortality for white men aged 20–49, by state, during 1970-1994.
Figure 4. Melanoma mortality for white men aged 20-49, by state — United States, 1970-1994.
11. Using Figure 4, give the five states that have the highest mortality rates for white men?
12. List two reasons why melanoma mortality rates might be higher for white men in Delaware than for men in neighboring states and some states in the south.
This page last reviewed August 27, 2004
United States Department of Health Human Services