Questions to Consider
- Did this conversation sound familiar?
- If you've ever had a conversation like this with your teen, what was the result?
- Can you relate to the way the teens "rewrote" the conversation? Did it teach you anything?
- During a parent-teen conversation, what do you think is most important to your teen living with epilepsy? (PROBE: trust, respect, empathy) What is most important to you? (PROBE: trust, respect, obedience)
- What could you do to improve the current style of communication between you and your teen?
- Who usually initiates conversations like those we heard—you or your teen?
- Tell us what works in the conversations you currently have with your teen.
- Do you and your spouse (if appropriate) approach these conversations differently? If yes, how?
- As with Lucy in the first scenario, how late do you let your teen stay out? When do those times change?
- And what about driving, have you addressed this issue with your teen? If so, how?
- Have you had discussions with your teen regarding medications, sports, dating, and other more typical teen issues? How did you approach them? What was the result?
- When and where are the best times and places to have conversations with your teen?