How Foreign Education is Evaluated for Federal Jobs
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if the applicant can show that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide such evidence when applying for Federal jobs.
Education received in foreign colleges or universities will be considered acceptable based on any of the following. This information must be submitted to the contact identified in the vacancy announcement, within the time limits specified in the vacancy announcement.
- The specific courses have been accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university because they would be creditable if the student were to further his or her education at that institution.
- An evaluation of the education by an accredited U.S. college or university shows that the education is equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university.
- An accredited U.S. State university reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at the State University.
- The applicant submits an evaluation of the coursework from an organization recognized for accreditation by the Department of Education that shows that the coursework is equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university.
- The education completed outside the U.S. has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
A list of private organizations prepared by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) is available. NACES evaluates foreign educational credits for employment and other purposes. All organizations on this list operate for a fee, based on the extent of the education to be evaluated. This link is provided for your general information and may not be all-inclusive. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not endorse any particular service.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
Human Resources Office
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, GA 30341
- 770-488-1228 (TTY)