Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS)
To check the status of your submitted application, log in and click “Track Your Application.”
May 15, 2014
August 15, 2014
Application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., (EDT).
E-mailed documents must be received by 11:59 p.m., (EDT).
Mailed documents must be postmarked by this date.
Interoffice documents must be received by this date.
No exceptions will be granted to applicants for failing to meet the deadline requirements.
September–Early November 2014
Candidates offered to interview in Atlanta. Candidates must pay their own travel expenses.
December 2014–February 2015
Candidates notified of application status (acceptance, rejection, wait list).
April 20–24, 2015
Accepted officers attend EIS Conference in Atlanta. Travel expenses will be paid by the EIS program.
Start of 2-year EIS program.
Letters of Recommendation
Interoffice mail is not recommended for CDC staff because there is no date stamp.
Four letters of recommendation are required.
- Select persons who are familiar with your academic achievements, future aspirations, personal qualities, and professional attributes
- Provide them with a copy of the Instructions for Letters of Recommendation [38KB]
- One letter must be from a faculty member or supervisor
- Physicians trained in the U.S.: Provide a dean’s letter from your medical school as one of your four letters (e.g., dean's letter used when applying for residency)
- Letters must be submitted in English
- Letters must be specific to your EIS application and dated within 6 months of the application
Submit official transcripts for all earned degrees or qualifying degrees in progress.
- Official transcripts can be either
- E-mailed by the registrar or recorder of records, or
- Mailed to the EIS office sealed in an official university envelope
- If transcripts are not issued by a U.S. institution, other proof of degree completion (e.g., certified copy of a diploma) must be submitted. Transcripts and proof of degree completion must be translated into English
- Transcripts and other proof of degree completion will not be returned to applicants
- Do not submit original diplomas or certificates
- High school transcripts are not required
U.S. Clinical License
U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents with a clinical degree (MD, DVM, RN, DMD, or equivalent) must submit a photocopy of an active, unrestricted license to practice that clinical specialty in the U.S.
Submission of Supporting Material
E-mail (preferred): EIS@cdc.gov
- Must come from the registrar or recorder of records
- Reference letters
- Must be e-mailed from the writer
- Subject line: EIS Application Reference Letter <applicant name>
- File name: <applicant Lname, Fname>_Reference2015EISapp.pdf
- Must have a signature
- Must be a PDF file
Allow extra days for all mail delivery, including express mail, to reach the EIS office.
Mail supporting material to:
Epidemic Intelligence Service
ATTN: EIS Application
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30333 USA
Applicants failing to meet the deadline will not be considered.
August 15, 2014 (11:59 p.m., EDT)
- Submission of online application
- Receipt of documents sent by e-mail or interoffice mail
- Postmark of mailed documents