About the Collaborative Approach to Prevention of Bloodstream Infections in Dialysis
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition, established a prevention collaborative of motivated outpatient dialysis facilities in 2009. The goal of CDC's Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative is to work together to prevent bloodstream infections (BSIs) in hemodialysis and spur a broader interest in preventing infections among the dialysis community.
The prevention collaborative consists of freestanding and hospital-based outpatient dialysis facilities across the country. Participating facilities measure BSIs using the dialysis event surveillance module in CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN), and are creating and implementing a package of evidence-based practices to prevent these infections.
In an effort to decrease rates of bloodstream infections among hemodialysis patients, the Prevention Collaborative has developed a set of interventions that participating facilities have implemented.
- Introduction to the CDC Collaborative [PFD - 348 KB]
- Core Interventions for CDC’s Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative [PDF - 289 KB]
- The Collaborative Approach to Prevention of Bloodstream Infections in Dialysis Factsheet [PDF - 84 KB]
The collaborative approach leads to interactions that facilitate the recognition and dissemination of good ideas between participants. This approach has led to major BSI reductions in other healthcare settings.
NHSN's Dialysis Event Module
The NHSN Dialysis Event Module is the tool used by the collaborative to collect and compare data on dialysis process measures and outcomes.
- Contact the NHSN Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
The Steering Committee members recognized below serve as an integral part of the CDC Dialysis BSI Prevention Collaborative. The members help define best practices and lead infection prevention efforts in the dialysis community. We thank you for all of your contributions to this project.
Steering Committee Members:
- Stephanie Booth, A.H.A., C.C.H.T., Portage Health Dialysis, Hancock, MI
- Virginia Bren, M.P.H., R.N., C.I.C., Altru Health System, Grand Forks, ND
- Gemma Downham, M.P.H., C.I.C., AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Atlantic City, NJ
- Sally Hess, C.I.C., M.P.H., Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT
- Karen Kelley, M.H.A., B.S.N., R.N., C.N.N., Portage Health Dialysis, Hancock, MI
- Mary Lincoln, B.S.N., M.H.A., Mercy Dialysis Center, Clinton, IA
- Curt Lindberg, M.H.A., DMan., Billings Clinic, Billings, MT
- Heather Weirich, B.S.N., R.N., Independent Dialysis Foundation, Baltimore, MD