2014 National Chronic Kidney Disease Fact Sheet References and Acknowledgments
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic Kidney Disease Surveillance System. Atlanta. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/ckd. Accessed August 5, 2013.
- Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes CKD Work Group. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Inter. 2013;3(1)(suppl):1-150.
- Meisinger C, Döring A, Löwel H, KORA Study Group. Chronic kidney disease and risk of incident myocardial infarction and all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men and women from the general population. Eur Heart J. 2006;27(10):1245-1250.
- US Renal Data System. USRDS 2013 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2013.
- US Renal Data System. USRDS Renal Data Extraction and Referencing (RenDER) System. http://www.usrds.org/render/xrender_home.asp. Accessed October 28, 2013.
- Astor BC, Hallan SI, Miller ER 3rd, Yeung E, Coresh J. Glomerular filtration rate, albuminuria, and risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in the U.S. population. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167(10):1226-1234.
- Hemmelgarn BR, James MT, Manns BJ, et al. Rates of treated and untreated kidney failure in older vs younger adults. JAMA. 2012;307(23):2507-2715.
- Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D, McCulloch CE, Hsu CY. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(13):1296-1305.
- Perlman RL, Finkelstein FO, Liu L, et al. Quality of life in chronic kidney disease (CKD): a cross-sectional analysis in the Renal Research Institute-CKD study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45(4):658-666.
- Kinchen KS, Sadler J, Fink N, et al. The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortality. Ann Intern Med. 2002;17;137(6):479-486.
- Vassalotti JA, Li S, Chen SC, Collins AJ. Screening populations at increased risk of CKD. The Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) and the public health problem. Am J Kidney Dis. 2009;53(3suppl3):S107-S114.
- Clinical practice guideline for diagnosis and treatment of CKD. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2009;13(3):187-256.
- Burrows NR, Li Y, Williams DE. Racial and ethnic differences in trends of end-stage renal disease: United States, 1995 to 2005. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2008;15(2):147-152.
- Kinchen KS, Sadler J, Fink N, et al. The timing of specialist evaluation in chronic kidney disease and mortality. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137(6): 479-486.
- Plantinga LC, Boulware LE, Coresh J, et al. Patient awareness of chronic kidney disease: trends and predictors. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168(20):2268-2275.
- Snyder JJ, Collins AJ. Association of preventive health care with atherosclerotic heart disease and mortality in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(7):1614-622.
The following organizations collaborated in compiling the information for this fact sheet:
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality http://www.ahrq.gov/
American Kidney Fund http://www.kidneyfund.org/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services http://cms.hhs.gov
US Department of Veterans Affairs http://www.va.gov/health/
Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov
Health Resources and Services Administration http://www.hrsa.gov
Kidney Disease Interagency Coordinating Committee http://nkdep.nih.gov/about/kicc/index.htm
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health http://www.niddk.nih.gov
National Kidney Disease Education Program http://www.nkdep.nih.gov/
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
American Society of Nephrology http://www.asn-online.org/
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org/
United States Renal Data System (USRDS) http://www.usrds.org/
The University of Michigan Kidney Epidemiology and Cost Center (UM-KECC) http://www.sph.umich.edu/kecc/
University of California San Francisco and University of California, San Francisco Center for Vulnerable Populations http://www.ucsf.edu/
*Links to nonfederal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. Links do not constitute an endorsement of
any organization by CDC or the Federal Government, and none should be inferred. The CDC is not responsible for the content of
the individual organization Web pages found at this link.
This publication is not subject to copyright restrictions; please duplicate and distribute copies as desired.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National Chronic Kidney Disease Fact Sheet: General Information and
National Estimates on Chronic Kidney Disease in the United States, 2014. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human
Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014.