- Increase awareness and knowledge of the seriousness of diabetes, its risk factors, and effective strategies for preventing complications associated with diabetes and preventing type 2 diabetes.
- Increase the number of people who live well with diabetes and effectively manage their disease to prevent or delay complications and improve quality of life.
- Decrease the number of Americans with undiagnosed diabetes.
- Among people at risk for type 2 diabetes, increase the number who make and sustain effective lifestyle changes to prevent diabetes.
- Facilitate efforts to improve diabetes-related health care and education, as well as systems for delivering care.
- Reduce health disparities in populations disproportionately burdened by diabetes.
- Facilitate the incorporation of evidenced-based research findings into health care practices.
NDEP partners with more than 200 public and private organizations concerned about diabetes and the health status of their members. For more information on NDEP’s partnership activities, go to http://ndep.nih.gov/partners-community-organization/.
- Children and adults with diabetes, their families, and caregivers
- Children and adults at risk for type 2 diabetes and their families
- Populations disproportionately burdened by diabetes and its complications
- Health care professionals, community health workers/promotores, and peers
- Community and health care focused organizations, media, businesses, schools, non-traditional partners, and other groups concerned about diabetes
- Promote and implement culturally and linguistically-appropriate diabetes awareness and education campaigns.
- Identify, disseminate and support the adoption of evidence-based, culturally and linguistically-appropriate tools and resources that support behavior change, improved quality of life, and better diabetes outcomes.
- Expand NDEP reach and visibility through collaborations with public, private, and nontraditional partners, and use of national, state, and local media, traditional and social media, and other relevant channels.
- Conduct and support the evaluation of NDEP resources, promotions, and other activities to improve future NDEP initiatives.