Clinical & Laboratory Guidance
Clinical recognition of and the differences in the courses of dengue infection, the signs and symptoms and the laboratory findings are detailed in the clinical page. Below are materials for clinicians, laboratorians and epidemiologists.
Clinical guidelines for the management of dengue infection
- World Health Organization (WHO) Dengue global alert.
- DENGUE: GUIDELINES FOR DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT, PREVENTION AND CONTROL: WHO, 2009 [PDF - 160 pages]
- WHO guidelines for treatment of dengue fever/dengue hemorrhagic fever in small hospitals [PDF - 33 pages]
- Transcript of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever: early recognition, diagnosis and hospital management. An audiovisual guide for health care workers responding to outbreaks[PDF - 14 pages].
- Dengue case definition
- CSTE Nationally Notifable Condition [PDF - 2 pages]
Clinical management tools for clinicians
- Dengue Case Management Guide [PDF - 8 pages]
- Information for health care practitioners [PDF - 4 pages]
Dengue laboratory testing and reporting
- FDA approved testing for all four dengue serotypes in laboratories using the ABI7500 FAST RT-PCR [PDF - 53 pages] and (en español) [PDF - 56 pages]
- Instructions for collecting, preparing and mailing specimens for dengue testing at the CDC Dengue Laboratory (English)[PDF - 7pages) and (en español) [DOC - 5 pages]
- Dengue Case Investigation Form (English) [PDF - 4 pages] and Dengue Case Investigation Form (en español) [PDF - 4 pages]
- Hospitals, laboratories and health care centers in Puerto Rico that will draw serum samples (en español) [DOC - 1 page] .
Patient educational materials
- Your child or family member may have dengue fever (English) [PDF - 1 page] and (en español) [PDF - 1 page] and Portuguese [DOC - 2 pages]
Laboratory diagnosis of suspected dengue specimens involves isolation of the virus, using serological tests, or molecular methods. Detailed descriptions of the immunological response with primary and secondary infection, dengue testing algorithm for serum specimens and a description of each test.
- Immunological response to dengue infection
- Classical testing algorithms of dengue:
- MAC Elisa
- IgG Elisa
- Plaque Reduction and Neutralization Test (PRNT)