High Cholesterol Educational Materials for Patients
Know the Facts About High Blood Cholesterol
This full-color, easy-to-read handout describes the risk factors, signs and symptoms, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of high blood cholesterol.
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- National Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program Addresses High Blood Cholesterol
Listen to CDC podcasts for reliable health and safety information when and where you want it.
- National Cholesterol Education Month
Do you know your cholesterol numbers? Your doctor can do a simple test to check your cholesterol levels and help you make choices that lower your risk for heart disease and stroke.
Date released: 9/9/2009
The following Web sites include government health links and resources to learn about cholesterol:
- National Cholesterol Education Program: The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Cholesterol: Medline Plus (A service of the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health)
- Cholesterol at HeartHub for Patients: American Heart Association
Tools to Help Control Cholesterol
Hispanic populations have a high prevalence of high blood cholesterol, which is a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Also, their diets often are high in salt and saturated fats. Reaching these audiences with effective messages about prevention can be challenging.
Most Hispanic consumers prefer to learn information in the format of a fotonovela, which is similar to a comic book. Because fotonovelas use plain language and are common in Spanish-language cultures, they are an effective medium for health promotion and health education for Hispanic audiences.
Promotores and other community health workers (CHWs) are encouraged to read the fotonovela with participants. A Promotora/CHW Guide accompanies the fotonovela and gives these members of the health care team a brief summary of objectives, tips, additional activities, reviews, and reminders.
- How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol: A Fotonovela [PDF-3.6M]
- How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol: A Promotora Guide [PDF-783K]