If you are a cancer patient or survivor, please see our Links Related to Cancer Survivorship.
Find a nursing home, assisted living, or hospice; check your eligibility for benefits; get resources for long-distance caregiving; review legal issues; and find support for caregivers using this comprehensive list from USA.gov.
- Family Caregivers in Cancer (National Cancer Institute)
- Family Caregivers in Cancer: Roles and Challenges (National Cancer Institute)
- Caring for the Caregiver (National Cancer Institute)
- Caregivers (Medline Plus)
- Caregiving (Medicare)
- Caregivers and Family (American Cancer Society)
- What You Need to Know as a Cancer Caregiver (American Cancer Society)
- Caregiving: A Public Health Priority (CDC)
- Caregivers as Partners and Clients of Behavioral Health Services [PDF-578KB] (Administration on Aging)
- Families with Special Needs: Caregiving Tips
- Caregiving Tips for Families of People with Disabilities
- Preventing Infections in Cancer Patients: Information for Patients and Caregivers
- Flu Treatment for Cancer Patients and Survivors
- Personal Preparedness for Older Adults and Their Caregivers
- Managing Stress
National Cancer Institute
- Organizations That Offer Support Services
- When Your Brother or Sister Has Cancer: A Guide for Teens
- When Your Parent Has Cancer: A Guide for Teens
- Young People with Cancer: A Handbook for Parents
- When Someone You Love Has Advanced Cancer: Support for Caregivers
- Facing Forward: When Someone You Love Has Completed Cancer Treatment
- End-of-Life Care for People Who Have Cancer
Administration on Aging
- 10 Warning Signs: An Older Loved One May Need Assistance [PDF-255KB]
- Working Caregivers: Finding a Balance [PDF-293KB]
- Emergency Readiness for Older Adults and Caregivers [PDF-612KB]
- Caregiver Survival Tips [PDF-681KB]
- Family Caregivers and Driving Retirement: Tips for Planning Ahead [PDF-416KB]
- Family Caregivers and Transportation: A Few Survival Tips [PDF-847KB]
Food and Drug Administration
Internal Revenue Service
National Institutes of Health
National Institute on Aging
- So Far Away: Twenty Questions and Answers About Long-Distance Caregiving
- Long-Distance Caregiving—A Family Affair
- Long-Distance Caregiving—Getting Started
Office on Women’s Health
Veterans Health Administration
- Orientation to Caregiving, Second Edition: A Handbook for Family Caregivers of Patients with Brain Tumors [PDF-6.2MB] (University of California San Francisco)
- Family Caregivers Research (American Cancer Society)
- Seven Key Findings from 8-Year Study of Cancer Caregivers (American Cancer Society)
- Clinical Trials for Caregivers of Cancer Patients (ClinicalTrials.gov)
- Caregiving Resource Center (AARP)
- Caregiving (Cancer Support Community)
- Caregiving (CancerCare)
- The Future of Home Health Care: Workshop Summary (Institute of Medicine) (2015)
- Ensuring Patient Access to Affordable Cancer Drugs: Workshop Summary (Institute of Medicine) (2014)
- Facilitating Patient Understanding of Discharge Instructions: Workshop Summary (Institute of Medicine) (2014)
- MetLife Study of Caregiving Costs to Working Caregivers: Double Jeopardy for Baby Boomers Caring for Their Parents [PDF-659KB] (June 2011)
- Valuing the Invaluable: The Economic Value of Family Caregiving, 2008 Update [PDF-90KB] (November 2008)
- Evercare Study of Family Caregivers—What They Spend, What They Sacrifice: The Personal Financial Toll of Caring for a Loved One [PDF-1.2MB] (November 2007)
- Evercare Study of Caregivers in Decline: A Close-up Look at the Health Risks of Caring for a Loved One [PDF-954KB] (September 2006)
- Protecting the Health of Family Caregivers (CDC) A podcast for public health and aging services professionals.
- Caregiving in Indian Country (CDC) A podcast for public health and aging services professionals.
- Sklenarova H, Krümpelmann A, Haun MW, Friederich HC, Huber J, Thomas M, Winkler EC, Herzog W, Hartmann M. When do we need to care about the caregiver? Supportive care needs, anxiety, and depression among informal caregivers of patients with cancer and cancer survivors. Cancer 2015.
- Lund L, Ross L, Petersen MA, Groenvold M. Cancer caregiving tasks and consequences and their associations with caregiver status and the caregiver’s relationship to the patient: a survey. BMC Cancer 2014;14:541.
- Kavanaugh M, Kramer BJ, Walsh MC, Trentham-Dietz A. Factors contributing to economic burden in lung cancer spousal caregivers. Palliative and Supportive Care 2014:1–10.
- McMullen CK, Schneider J, Altschuler A, Grant M, Hornbrook MC, Liljestrand P, Krouse RS. Caregivers as health care managers: health management activities, needs, and caregiving relationships for colorectal cancer survivors with ostomies. Supportive Care in Cancer 2014;22(9):2401–2408.
- McPherson CJ, Hadjistavropoulos T, Lobchuk MM, Kilgour KN. Cancer-related pain in older adults receiving palliative care: patient and family caregiver perspectives on the experience of pain. Pain Research and Management 2013;18(6):293–300.
- Anderson LA, Edwards VJ, Pearson WS, Talley RC, McGuire LC, Andresen EM. Adult caregivers in the United States: characteristics and differences in well-being, by caregiver age and caregiving status. Preventing Chronic Disease 2013;10:130090.
- Li C, Zeliadt SB, Hall IJ, Smith JL, Ekwueme DU, Moinpour CM, Penson DF, Thompson IM, Keane TE, Ramsey SD. Burden among partner caregivers of patients diagnosed with localized prostate cancer within 1 year after diagnosis: an economic perspective. Supportive Care in Cancer 2013;21(12):3461–3469.
- Bevans M, Sternberg EM. Caregiving burden, stress, and health effects among family caregivers of adult cancer patients. JAMA 2012;307(4):398–403.
- Silveira MJ, Given CW, Cease KB, Sikorskii A, Given B, Northouse LL, Piette JD. Cancer care partners: improving patients’ symptom management by engaging informal caregivers. BMC Palliative Care 2011;10:21.
- Mazanec SR, Daly BJ, Douglas SL, Lipson AR. Work productivity and health of informal caregivers of persons with advanced cancer. Research in Nursing and Health 2011;34(6):483–495.
- Mazanec P, Daly BJ, Ferrell BR, Prince-Paul M. Lack of communication and control: experiences of distance caregivers of parents with advanced cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum 2011;38(3):307–313.