NETS Module 2: Abstracting for the Beginner
The NPCR Education and Training Series (NETS) is a series of educational tools for state trainers to support central cancer registries in their role of providing education to staff and reporters. For more information about how you may use the NETS modules, please see Guidelines for Using the NETS Modules.
This three-part module for beginning reporters explains why cancer data is collected, how information flows from the facility level to the national level, and how to maintain the confidentiality of health data, perform casefinding, and complete the electronic cancer reporting form.
- Part 1: Cancer as a Reportable Disease [PDF-1.6MB] introduces new cancer reporters to the functions of a central cancer registry, and explains why cancer reporting is required.
- Part 2: Roles and Responsibilities of Reporters [PDF-2.9MB] describes the roles and responsibilities of cancer data reporters, the materials and references they need, and the procedures involved in the cancer reporting process.
- Part 3: How to Complete an Abstract [PDF-1.6MB] describes how to complete a cancer abstract when you have limited information.
Case Studies and Exercise Worksheets
The exercises that follow are taken from actual medical charts that have been de-identified to protect patient privacy and are used as part of the learning process. Drug names are trademarked and listed as they actually appear in their medical records.
- Mini-Abstract [PDF-24KB]
- Breast Case [PDF-109KB]
- Colon Case [PDF-157KB]
- Lung Case [PDF-158KB]
- Prostate Case [PDF-157KB]
- Pathology Report 1 [PDF-53KB]
- Pathology Report 2 [PDF-66KB]
- Pathology Report 3 [PDF-77KB]
- Pathology Report 4 [PDF-83KB]
- Radiation Summary 1 [PDF-72KB]
- Radiation Summary 2 [PDF-69KB]
- Radiation Summary 3 [PDF-62KB]
- Radiation Summary 4 [PDF-56KB]
- Surgery/Operative Report 1 [PDF-43KB]
- Surgery/Operative Report 2 [PDF-97KB]
- Surgery/Operative Report 3 [PDF-92KB]
- Surgery/Operative Report 4 [PDF-129KB]
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
c/o CDC Warehouse
3719 N Peachtree Rd
Building 100 MS F-76
Chamblee GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO