How to Collect High-Quality Cancer Surveillance Data
The Instructional Abstracting Modules are a series of educational tools for state trainers and self-instruction. They were developed by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) under contract for the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR). Each module includes anatomy, general information, abstracting review, coding rules for NPCR-required data fields, and determining multiple primaries (before 2007). An abstract form and case scenarios for abstraction along with a pre- and post-test are provided. Individual modules include lung, prostate, breast, melanoma, colon and rectum, and central nervous system (both malignant and non-malignant) primary sites (see the Introduction [PDF-31KB] for more information).
This series is an excellent training resource for new cancer registry employees, and provides reference materials for trainers to use in either the central or hospital cancer registry.
The slide presentations explain how to collect high-quality cancer surveillance data for breast, central nervous system, colon, lung, skin, and prostate tumors. Each slide includes talking points that provide more detailed information.
- How to Collect High-Quality Breast Cancer Surveillance Data [PDF-1.4MB]
- Breast Cancer Exercises [PDF-100KB]
- FORDS Appendix B: Breast-Specific Surgery Codes [PDF-30KB]
Central Nervous System (CNS) Module
- How to Collect High-Quality CNS Surveillance Data [PDF-1.3MB]
- CNS Exercises [PDF-128KB]
- FORDS Appendix B: CNS-Specific Surgery Codes [PDF-32KB]
Colon and Rectum Module
- How to Collect High-Quality Colorectal Cancer Surveillance Data [PDF-1.9MB]
- Colorectal Cancer Exercises [PDF-94KB]
- FORDS Appendix B: Colorectal-Specific Surgery Codes [PDF-27KB]
- How to Collect High-Quality Lung Cancer Surveillance Data [PDF-1MB]
- Lung Cancer Exercises [PDF-101KB]
- FORDS Appendix B: Lung-Specific Surgery Codes [PDF-18KB]
- How to Collect High-Quality Prostate Cancer Surveillance Data [PDF-1.2MB]
- Prostate Cancer Exercises [PDF-97KB]
- FORDS Appendix B: Prostate-Specific Surgery Codes [PDF-19KB]