Registry Plus Download Utility Programs
Northcon140.exe Record Converter: NAACCR 13 to NAACCR 14
(third release, version 1.0.2, build date March 18, 2014)
Northcon140.exe, a freestanding program for Microsoft® Windows®, converts files of cancer registry records from NAACCR 13 to NAACCR 14, which are data formats prescribed by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). Input files should conform to NAACCR version 13. Converted output files will contain records in the NAACCR 14 record layout. See the program's online help for usage instructions.
Version 1.0.2 addresses the following issues:
- The review criteria for category 3c, AJCC Blank GI Nodes, were corrected. The changes do not affect which cases are listed for review, but they do change the message indicating why some cases were listed. Cases that would have been listed under category 3e, Other, will now be correctly indicated as reviewable for category 3c1 and 3c2 based on the coding of SSF 1 or 2. Only cases that staged successfully in v0204 but now result in ERROR are listed for review. Specific changes include:
- The SSF included in the review criteria was corrected from SSF2 to SSF1 for some schemas.
- Category 3c for AJCC 6 and AJCC 7 was split into 3c1 and 3c2, depending on which SSF is referenced.
- Code 988 was removed from the review criteria.
- NETStomach and SmallIntestine were added to the schemas for review under category 3c and Esophagus was deleted from one of the 3c categories.
- Cases that do not map to a CS schema will not be reviewed; reviewing such cases inadvertently caused crashes.
Version 1.0.1 includes 5 new record identifier fields in the reviewables log:
- Sequence Number—Central
- Over-ride CS 20
- Reporting Facility
- Accession Number—Hosp
- Sequence Number—Hospital
Version 1.0.1 also includes an enhancement to check the value of the Over-ride CS 20 flag to reduce the number of reviewable cases for some registries in the National Program of Cancer Registries.
Northcon140.exe uses three dynamic link libraries (DLL): nconv140.dll, rpnaaccr.dll, and cstage0205.dll. The setup package available here contains the latest public release of all of them.
- Nconv140.dll is a programmers' library that contains several functions to perform record-by-record conversion when called by northcon140.exe or other programs. This is the same conversion DLL used by other Registry Plus software.
- Rpnaaccr.dll is used to identify characteristics of the files being submitted to northcon140.exe for processing.
- Cstage0205.dll version 020550 is the Collaborative Staging Data Collection System software for NAACCR 14.
The setup package contains a C/C++ header file and link library for programmers as well as a description of the application program interface and source code for a sample program using nconv140.dll.
- Download the latest version of northcon140.exe, setup_northcon140_1.0.2.exe (executable file, 1.4 MB, March 18, 2014) to your computer. This program will install Northcon140 without disturbing previous conversions.
- Run the program to install the software.
If you need just the DLLs to perform conversion with a program other than northcon140.exe, just copy them from the same directory where you install northcon140.exe. Please note that use of nconv140.dll with your own programs will also require cstage0205.dll, included in this setup package, for its operation.
Conversion Specifications for NAACCR 14
There is no separate conversion specification document for NAACCR 14. Conversion specifications are included in the implementation guide for the CSv2.5 package [ZIP-68.3MB], which can be downloaded at the Collaborative Stage home page.
- November 21, 2013: First public release of northcon140.exe and nconv140.dll.
- January 7, 2014: Second public release of northcon140.exe and nconv140.dll.
- April 16, 2014: Third public release of northcon140.exe and nconv140.dll.
Converting Previous Versions
The following older versions of the Northcon Executable Record Converter convert older NAACCR data files to more current NAACCR versions:
- Northcon130_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.2 to NAACCR 13.0: Download setup_northcon130_1.0.2.exe (April 8, 2013, 1.3 MB)
- Northcon122_1.0.0 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.1 to NAACCR 12.2: Download setup_northcon122_1.0.0.exe (December 12, 2011, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon121_1.0.3 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.0 to NAACCR 12.1: Download setup_northcon121_1.0.3.exe (September 15, 2011, 1 MB)
- Northcon12_1.0.3.exe Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 11.x to NAACCR 12.0: Download setup_northcon12_1.0.3.exe (January 11, 2012, 917 KB)
Recnizer File Identifier
Recnizer is a Utility Program used to identify files of cancer registry abstracts in formats prescribed by NAACCR. It is useful in quickly determining the characteristics of files that are received from an outside source. The utility can be used to test files for validity that have caused unexplained problems for other software.
Download the latest version of Recnizer, setup_recnizer_1.1.5.exe (executable file, 353 KB, September 15, 2014) to your computer. Run the setup program to install the software.
- May 17, 2011: This revision is updated from previous releases in that it will recognize NAACCR version 12.1 data layouts.
- August 22, 2011: Updated to identify additional file types.
- September 15, 2014: Updated to identify NAACCR 14 and NAACCR 15 file types.
CDC is committed to providing resources that are accessible to people of all abilities. If you find that any of our information products, including what you see on this site, are not in compliance with Section 508 (29 U.S.C. § 794d), please contact us by e-mail or phone at 1 (800) 232-4636 or TTY at (888) 232-6348. When you contact us, please refer to the specific information found to be non-compliant. This will help us address the issue more quickly.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
c/o CDC Warehouse
3719 N Peachtree Rd
Building 100 MS F-76
Chamblee GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO