Registry Plus™ Download Utility Programs
Northcon150.exe Record Converter: NAACCR 14 to NAACCR 15
(second release, version 1.1.1, build date May 15, 2015)
Northcon150.exe, a freestanding program for Microsoft® Windows®, converts files of cancer registry records from NAACCR 14 to NAACCR 15, which are data formats prescribed by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). Input files should conform to NAACCR version 14. Converted output files will contain records in the NAACCR 15 record layout. See the program’s online help for usage instructions.
Version 1.1.1 addresses the following issue:
A problem was recently identified in that program for two exceedingly rare combinations of site/histology/grade code. In such cases, the NORTHCON DLL writes a space and two null characters to the CS Lymph Nodes field in the record buffer rather than three spaces as intended. This can cause applications using the conversion DLL to fail.
The affected combinations are—
- Histology 9687, Grade in (1-5, 7-9), site not in (C420, C423, C424).
- Histology 9836, Grade in (1-5, 7-9), site in (C420, C423, C424).
This does not impact registries whose records have passed the standard edit, “Histology ICDO3, Grade, Date of Dx (SEER)” prior to conversion. This edit, implemented in the V12.1A metafile, would have identified cases with this scenario, as the edit requires a Grade of 6 for these two histologies. If corrected prior to conversion, the null character problem would not arise.
Note: v14 edits should be run and errors corrected prior to running the conversion.
Northcon has been modified for 2015. Northcon150 will derive Collaborative Stage only for cases that are converted and changed CS schema specifically because of that conversion. All other cases will retain their existing CS values. Since Collaborative Stage was not changed in 2014, these cases do not need to be derived again.
The two conversion functions in nconv150.dll have two new parameters that are useful in reviewing cases—
- Bool convert_cs: The function sets this value to true if the case’s CS schema was converted, which may require re-derivation of Collaborative Stage.
- Bool manual review: The function sets this value to true if the case requires manual review.
Northcon150.exe uses three dynamic link libraries (DLL): nconv150.dll, rpnaaccr.dll, and cstage0205.dll. The setup package available here contains the latest public release of all of them.
- Nconv150.dll is a programmers’ library that contains several functions to perform record-by-record conversion when called by northcon150.exe or other programs. This is the same conversion DLL used by other Registry Plus software.
- Rpnaaccr.dll is used to identify characteristics of the files being submitted to northcon150.exe for processing.
- Cstage0205.dll version 020550 is the Collaborative Staging Data Collection System software for NAACCR 14 and 15.
The setup package contains a C/C++ header file and link library for programmers as well as a description of the application program interface and source code for a sample program using nconv150.dll.
- Download the latest version of northcon150.exe, setup_northcon150_1.1.1.exe (executable file, 1.6 MB, May 15, 2015) to your computer. This program will install Northcon150 without disturbing previous conversions.
- Run the program to install the software.
If you need just the DLLs to perform conversion with a program other than northcon150.exe, just copy them from the same directory where you install northcon150.exe. Please note that use of nconv150.dll with your own programs will also require cstage0205.dll, included in this setup package, for its operation.
Conversion Specifications for NAACCR 15
The conversion specifications are included in the installation package and posted on the NAACCR Web site.
- March 17, 2015: Initial release.
- June 5, 2015: Second release.
Converting Previous Versions
The following older versions of the Northcon Executable Record Converter convert older NAACCR data files to more current NAACCR versions—
- Northcon140_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 13.0 to NAACCR 14.0: Download setup_northcon140_1.0.2.exe (March 18, 2014, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon130_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.2 to NAACCR 13.0: Download setup_northcon130_1.0.2.exe (April 8, 2013, 1.3 MB)
- Northcon122_1.0.0 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.1 to NAACCR 12.2: Download setup_northcon122_1.0.0.exe (December 12, 2011, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon121_1.0.3 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.0 to NAACCR 12.1: Download setup_northcon121_1.0.3.exe (September 15, 2011, 1 MB)
- Northcon12_1.0.3.exe Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 11.x to NAACCR 12.0: Download setup_northcon12_1.0.3.exe (January 11, 2012, 917 KB)
Recnizer File Identifier
Recnizer is a Utility Program used to identify files of cancer registry abstracts in formats prescribed by NAACCR. It is useful in quickly determining the characteristics of files that are received from an outside source. The utility can be used to test files for validity that have caused unexplained problems for other software.
Download the latest version of Recnizer, setup_recnizer_1.1.5.exe (executable file, 353 KB, September 15, 2014) to your computer. Run the setup program to install the software.
- May 17, 2011: This revision is updated from previous releases in that it will recognize NAACCR version 12.1 data layouts.
- August 22, 2011: Updated to identify additional file types.
- September 15, 2014: Updated to identify NAACCR 14 and NAACCR 15 file types.
CDC is committed to providing resources that are accessible to people of all abilities. If you find that any of our information products, including what you see on this site, are not in compliance with Section 508 (29 U.S.C. § 794d), please contact us by e-mail or phone at 1 (800) 232-4636 or TTY at (888) 232-6348. When you contact us, please refer to the specific information found to be non-compliant. This will help us address the issue more quickly.