Data Flow Diagram Legend
There are two actors: the registrar and the cancer registry (CR) software.
The process starts when CR software selects cases that meet the criteria for active follow-up.
The CR software performs patient linkage between the CR database and the death to identify a match. For matching cases, CR software displays information on matching patients. The registrar validates the displayed information, and the CR software updates the abstract appropriately. If the cancer status is known after patient linkage with death files, the process stops.
If the displayed information is not acceptable or if the cancer status is unknown, the registrar selects the appropriate follow-up form type, and the CR software creates the follow-up form.
The registrar sends the follow-up form to the physician electronically. The respondent logs into the CR software follow-up notification system. The CR software displays follow-up data items to the respondent. Respondent reviews the displayed information, makes revisions as appropriate, and enters follow-up information. The CR software stores the information from the follow-up entry system in a separate database table. The registrar validates it, and the CR software updates cancer registry abstract.
If the registrar cannot send the follow-up form electronically, the registrar mails the printed form to the physician. The respondent completes the paper follow-up form and returns it to the cancer registry. The registrar enters follow-up information from the printed follow-up form into the abstract and scans and archives paper follow-up form.
The registrar updates the contact "first choice" to be used for the next follow-up activity, and the process stops.
Business Rules (BR)
For definitions of the business rules and software requirements, please refer to the Conduct Active Follow-Up Use Case (PDF-402KB).
- BR01, BR02, BR03, BR04, and BR05 apply to the process of selecting cases for active follow-up.
- BR06, BR07, BR08, and BR09 apply to the process of selecting the appropriate form type.
- BR10 applies to the process of transmitting the follow-up form electronically.
- BR11 applies to the process of the respondent completing the follow-up form electronically.
- BR12 applies to the process of reviewing the information displayed.
Software Requirements (SR)
- SR01 applies to the process of selecting cases for active follow-up.
- SR02 and SR13 apply to the process of patient linkage with death files.
- SR03, SR04, SR05, and SR06 apply to the process of creating the follow-up form.
- SR07 applies to the respondent receiving the form.
- SR08 applies to displaying follow-up information.
- SR09 applies to the process of storing information in the CR software.
- SR10, SR11, and SR12 apply to the process of validating and updating the cancer registry abstract.
Please note: Some of these publications are available for download only as *.pdf files. These files require Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to be viewed. Please review the information on downloading and using Acrobat Reader software.