Judith Lee Smith, PhD
Judith Lee Smith, PhD, is a Senior Behavioral Scientist and Team Lead in CDC’s Division of Cancer Prevention and Control’s Epidemiology and Applied Research Branch. Dr. Smith joined DCPC in September 2004 and was previously a NIH Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Chicago in the Department of Medicine and the Department of Psychiatry.
Dr. Smith is a co-creator of AMIGAS, a bilingual educational outreach intervention designed to help promotoras (community health workers) and other lay health educators increase cervical cancer screening among Hispanic women who have rarely or never had a Pap test. A recent randomized controlled trial demonstrated the interventions effectiveness and cost effectiveness. In 2013, AMIGAS was awarded the CDC/ATSDR Honor Award for Health Equity. Currently, Dr. Smith is leading efforts to adapt AMIGAS for African-American women.
Dr. Smiths research interests include investigating the behavioral, psychosocial, cultural, and system-level factors that impact cancer-related health disparities and cancer survivorship. Her primary areas of focus are colorectal, cervical, prostate, and breast cancers and cancer survivorship. She collaborates domestically and internationally with various institutions and works extensively with diverse populations including African Americans, Hispanics, rural populations, and the uninsured or underinsured. Dr. Smith a co-investigator on several studies examining factors associated with screening uptake, treatment decision-making, non-receipt of surveillance screening, and health outcomes of cancer survivors.
In 2009, Dr. Smith was awarded the Early Career Award in Behavioral and Social Sciences from CDCs Behavioral and Social Science Working Group in recognition of her work during her tenure at CDC. From 2009–2011, Dr. Smith represented CDCs National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion on the Prevention and Control Sub-Committee and the Full Committee for the Charles C. Shepard Award. Dr. Smith has also served as a member of technical advisory groups for the National Colorectal Cancer Roundtable and the World Health Organization.
Dr. Smith has authored or co-authored more than 40 publications in peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of General Internal Medicine, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Journal of Oncology Practice, Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention, Cancer, and Journal of Cancer Survivorship. Some of her more recent articles include—
- 2014 Capsule commentary on Davis et al., Improving mammography screening among the medically underserved.
- 2014 Cervical cancer screening with AMIGAS: a cost-effectiveness analysis.
- 2014 Meeting the information needs of lower income cancer survivors: results of a randomized control trial evaluating the American Cancer Societys I Can Cope.
- 2014 Surveillance instructions and knowledge among African-American colorectal cancer survivors.
- 2013 AMIGAS: Building a cervical cancer screening intervention for public health practice.
- 2013 Assessment of the status of A National Action Plan for Cancer Survivorship in the USA.
- 2013 AMIGAS: A multicity, multicomponent cervical cancer prevention trial among Mexican-American women.
- 2013 Variation in primary care physicians' colorectal cancer screening recommendations by patient age and health status.
- 2012 Using intervention mapping as a participatory strategy: Development of a cervical cancer intervention for Hispanic women.
- 2012 Physician over-recommendation of mammography for terminally ill women.
- 2011 Tailoring cancer education and support programs for low-income, primarily African-American cancer survivors.
- 2011 Physicians colorectal cancer screening discussion and recommendation patterns.
- 2011 Colorectal cancer screening use among insured primary care patients.
- 2009 Addressing cancer survivorship through public health: An update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
c/o CDC Warehouse
3719 N Peachtree Rd
Building 100 MS F-76
Chamblee GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO