Tobacco Publications and Products
- Watson CH, McCraw J, Polzin G, Ashley DL. Development of a method to assess cigarette smoke intake. Environ Sci Tech 2004; 38:248–53.
- CDC. Determination of nicotine, pH, and moisture content of six commercial moist snuff products – Florida. MMWR 1999;48:398–401.
- Ashley DL, Beeson MD, Johnson DR, et al. Tobacco-specific nitrosamines in tobacco from US brand and non-US brand cigarettes. Nicotine Tob Res 2003;5:323–31.
- Stanfill SB, Brown CR, Yan X, Watson CH, Ashley DL. Quantification of flavor-related compounds in the unburned contents of bidi and clove cigarettes. J Agric Food Chem 2006;54:8580–8.
- Pappas RS, Stanfill SB, Watson CH, Ashley DL. Analysis of toxic metals in commercial moist snuff and Alaskan iqmik. J Anal Toxicol 2008;32(5):281–91.
- Watson CH, Trommel J, Ashley DL. Solid-phase microextraction-based approach to determine free-base nicotine in trapped mainstream cigarette smoke particulate matter. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:7240–5.
- Pappas RS, Polzin G, Watson CH, Ashley DL. Cadmium, lead, and thallium in smoke particulate from counterfeit cigarettes compared to authentic U.S. brands. Food Chem Toxicol 2007;45(2):202–9.
- Ding YS, Ashley DL, Watson CH. Determination of 10 carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in mainstream cigarette smoke. J Agric Food Chem 2007;55(15):5966–73.
- Polzin GM, Zhang L, Hearn BA, et al. Effect of charcoal-containing filters on gas phase volatile organic compounds. Tob Control 2008;17(Suppl 1):i10–6.
- Bernert JT, Turner WE, Pirkle JL, et al. Development and validation of a sensitive method for the determination of serum cotinine in both smokers and nonsmokers by using liquid chromatography / atmospheric pressure ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chem 1997;43:2281–91.
- Pirkle JL, Flegal KM, Bernert JT, Brody DJ, Etzel RA, Maurer KR. Exposure of the U.S. population to environmental tobacco smoke: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1991. J Am Med Assoc 1996;275:1233–40.
- Bernert JT, Jain RB, Pirkle JL, Wang L, Miller BB, Sampson EJ. Urinary tobacco-specific nitrosamines and 4-aminobiphenyl hemoglobin adducts measured in smokers of either regular or light cigarettes. Nic Tob Res 2005;7(5):729–38.
- Xia Y, McGuffey JE, Bhattacharyya S, et al. Analysis of the tobacco-specific nitrosamine 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol in urine by extraction on a molecularly-imprinted polymer column and liquid chromatography/atmospheric-pressure ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 2005;77(23):7639–45.
- Pirkle JL, Bernert JT, Caudill SP, Sosnoff CS, Pechacek TF. Trends in the exposure of nonsmokers in the U.S. population to second-hand smoke: 1988 through 2002. Environ Health Perspect 2006;114(6):853–8.
- Benowitz NL, Bernert JT, Caraballo RS, Holiday DB, Wang J. Optimal serum cotinine levels for distinguishing cigarette smokers and nonsmokers within different racial/ethnic groups in the United States between 1999 and 2004. Am J Epidemiol 2009;169:236–48.
Products and Resources
- CDC's Tobacco Laboratory (brochure) [PDF - 15,967 KB]
- Division of Laboratory Sciences (DLS) Publications and Products
- National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH) Publications
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO