Pennsylvania Arthritis Program
Arthritis Burden in Pennsylvania
Nearly 2.8 million people or 28% of Pennsylvania adult population reported having doctor-diagnosed arthritis. According to the 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), about 57% of adults aged 55 years or older have arthritis, compared to 35% with adults aged 45-64 years and 10% of adults aged 18-44 years. In Pennsylvania, more women (33%) have arthritis than men (24%).
Additional information about the burden of arthritis in Pennsylvania includes
- Of people with arthritis, 38% are obese.
- Arthritis affects all racial and ethnic groups, with prevalence at 30% for whites, 23% for blacks, and 22% for Hispanics.
- Of working-age (18-64 years) adults with arthritis, 38% (575,000) have some work limitation due to their arthritis.
Data Source: 2011 BRFSS.
- Pennsylvania Arthritis Foundation Chapters
- Pennsylvania Association of Family Physicians Foundation
- Pennsylvania Department of Aging
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
- Walk With Ease (Group)
Arthritis Program Administrator
Pennsylvania Dept. of Health
Bureau of Health Promotion
Health & Welfare Bldg.
625 Forster Street, Room 1008 H&W Bldg |
Harrisburg, PA. 17120
Telephone: (717) 787-5900
Fax: (717) 783-5498