Kentucky Arthritis Program
Arthritis Burden in Kentucky
Nearly one of three adults or 33% of the adult population in Kentucky has doctor-diagnosed arthritis. Arthritis affects both males and females of all ages and racial and ethnic groups. Although arthritis affects all ages, its prevalence increases with age. In Kentucky, 14% of adults aged 18-44 years have arthritis, compared with 42% of those aged 45-64 yearsand 58% of those aged 65 years or older. Among women aged 18 years or older 36% have arthritis, compared with 28% of men.
Additional information about the burden of arthritis in Kentucky includes
- Of all adults with arthritis, 55% (528,000) have activity limitation due to their arthritis.
- Of working-age (18-64 years) adults with arthritis, 54% (337,000) have some work limitation due to their arthritis.
- In Kentucky, 40% (376,000) of adults who are obese have arthritis.
Data Source: 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey (BRFSS).
- Kentucky Department of Aging and Independent Living
- Regional Area Agencies for Aging and Independent Living
- Journey to Wellness
- YMCA of the USA
- Kentucky Broadcasters Association Public Education Program
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Programs
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
- Enhance Fitness
- Walk with Ease (group led)
- Walk with Ease (self-directed)
Arthritis Program Manager
Kentucky Arthritis & Osteoporosis Program
Kentucky Department for Public Health
275 East Main Street, HS 2 WE
Frankfort, Kentucky 40621
Telephone: (502) 564-7996
Fax: (502) 564-4667
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Arthritis Program
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341-3724
- Phone: 770.488.5464