Program Descriptions Florida
Florida Arthritis Program
The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) is the primary tool for collecting data on arthritis in Florida. The BRFSS is a system of telephone health surveys that collects information on health risk behaviors, preventive health practices, and healthcare access primarily related to chronic diseases and injury. A brief summary of the 2009 Florida BRFSS arthritis data is provided below.
In Florida, 27% (3,768,000) of adults ages 18 or older have arthritis, and the percentage increases with age. Among Florida adults ages 18 or older with self-reported doctor-diagnosed arthritis:
- 46% (1,726,000) have activity limitations due to their arthritis.
- 17% (618,000) have social participation restrictions due to their arthritis.
- 28% (1,035,000) have severe joint pain due to their arthritis.
- Of working age (18-64 years of age) adults with arthritis, 34% (713,000) have work related limitations due to arthritis.
Self-Management and Physical Activity Promotion through Delivery System Development
The Florida Arthritis Prevention and Education Program works with state and community organizations to develop sustainable delivery systems to embed Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved evidence-based self-management and physical activity programs in 63 of the 67 counties. There are ten delivery system partners, each includes several counties, and all are self-sufficient providing both human and financial resources to maintain and sustain the programs. The primary role of the Florida Arthritis Prevention and Education Program is to assist with the initial development of a delivery system and to provide support for trainings, lending libraries for participant books, start-up equipment needs, or licenses. Listed below are the programs currently embedded in the delivery systems and promoted to reduce the burden of arthritis and other ongoing health conditions.
- Living Healthy (Chronic Disease Self-Management Program)
- Spanish Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (Tomando Control de su Salud)
- The Arthritis Toolkits (English or Spanish)
Physical Activity Programs
- Fit & Strong!
- Arthritis Foundation Walk With Ease
- Active Living Every Day
Florida Delivery System Partners
- Area Agency on Aging for North Florida, Inc.
- Area Agency on Aging for Palm Beach/Treasure Coast, Inc.
- Area Agency on Aging of Southwest Florida, Inc.
- Elder Options, (Mid-Florida Area Agency on Aging, Inc.)
- ElderSource, (Northeast Florida Area Agency on Aging, Inc.)
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- Florida Library Association
- Healthy Aging Regional Collaborative (Health Foundation of South Florida)
- Lupus Support Network
- The Center for Health Futures at Florida Hospital
- Visionary Vanguard Group, Inc.
- West Central Florida Area Agency on Aging
- University of Florida, Florida Office on Disability and Health
Florida Arthritis Prevention and Education Program Website
Florida Department of Health
Bureau of Chronic Disease
4052 Bald Cypress Way, HSFCD, Bin A-18
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1744
Telephone: (850) 245-4444
Fax: (850) 414-6625
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
What Do You Think
of This Site?
- Arthritis Program
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341-3724
- Phone: 770.488.5464
- Contact CDC-Info