Welcome to the CDC Arthritis Press room, a resource for reporters, news producers, and broadcasters seeking public health information about arthritis. Most of us don’t realize the significant and serious impact arthritis has on a person’s quality of life, our country’s economy, and the health of our nation. It is more than “just aches and pains.”
- Arthritis affects 1 in 5 adults in the United States, or an estimated 52.5 million people.
- These estimates are expected to continue to soar, reaching 67 million by 2030.
- Two-thirds of people with arthritis are younger than age 65.
- In 2003, the total cost attributable to arthritis in the United States reached $128 billion.
- Arthritis is the most common cause of disability among adults in this country.
Simple Steps for People with Arthritis
Taking just a few simple steps can help keep pain away:
- Learn arthritis management strategies.
- Be active.
- Watch your weight.
- See your doctor.
- Protect your joints.
If you need more information please contact CDC Media Relations at (404) 639-3286. If you would like to receive email updates when the CDC Arthritis Program releases new information please subscribe here (choose Arthritis, under Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion).
About This Pressroom
This newsroom is designed to help you bring this information to your readers, viewers, visitors, and/or listeners.
On this site, you can find the following: