View the pages in this section for more information—including resources, tools, and published research—on self-management education interventions, marketing strategies, and references used in developing the Spread the Word marketing guide.
Self-Management Education Interventions
Visit the CDC Arthritis Program Web site for information on CDC Arthritis Program-supported self-management interventions.
Visit the Stanford University Patient Education Research Center for more information about the Chronic Disease Self Management Program and the Arthritis Self Management Program.
More information and tools for developing effective social marketing strategies are available from the following resources.
- National Center for Health Marketing, CDC
- Making Health Communication Programs Work (Pink Book), National Cancer Institute, NIH
- CDC Health Marketing Resources
- Society for Public Health Education
- NIH Plain Language Initiative
- Arthritis: comorbidities. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/data_statistics/comorbidities.htm. Updated February 2, 2011. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Chronic diseases and health promotion. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/overview/index.htm. Updated August 13, 2012. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Arthritis: meeting the challenge of living well: at a glance 2012. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. http://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/aag/arthritis.htm. Updated April 12, 2012. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Arthritis: intervention programs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/interventions.htm. Updated December 7, 2012. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Fleishman-Hillard Research. Increasing Demand for Self-Management Education: A Focus Group Report to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Arthritis Program. Atlanta, GA: Fleishman-Hillard Inc; 2007.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Directors of Health Promotion and Education. 1-2-3 Approach to Provider Outreach: Marketing Arthritis Interventions to Primary Care Practices. Atlanta, GA: Westat, Inc; 2010. www.cdc.gov/arthritis/interventions/marketing-support/ambassador-outreach. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Galston SK. Surgeon General’s perspectives: self-management programs: one way to promote healthy aging. Pub Health Rep. 2009;124:478-480. http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/publichealthreports/archive.html. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Brady TJ, Murphy L, O’Colmain BJ, et al. A meta-analysis of health status, health behaviors, and health care utilization outcomes of the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. Prev Chronic Dis. 2013;10:120112. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd10.120112. Updated January 29, 2013. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Arthritis: self-management education. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/interventions/self_manage.htm. Updated December 17, 2012. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Do BT, Hootman JM, Helmick CG, Brady TJ. Monitoring Healthy People 2010 arthritis management objectives: self-management education and clinician counseling for weight loss and exercise. Ann Fam Med. 2011;9:136-141.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
What Do You Think
of This Site?
- Arthritis Program
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341-3724
- Phone: 770.488.5464
- Contact CDC-Info