Data and Statistics
Based on 2007-2009 data from the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)(1), an estimated
- 50 million (22%) of adults have self-reported doctor-diagnosed arthritis.
- 21 million (9% of all adults) have arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation.
Based on 2003 NHIS data (2) a projected
- 67 million (25%) adults aged 18 years or older will have doctor-diagnosed arthritis by the year 2030.
- An estimated 37% (25 million adults) of those with arthritis will report arthritis-attributable activity limitations by the year 2030.
The best source for national arthritis prevalence estimates is the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), an annual survey conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics. Each year, the NHIS samples U.S. households and gathers information on select adult and child members living in each household. Estimates of health conditions and behaviors from the NHIS are representative of the U.S. civilian, non-institutionalized population. Read more about the NHIS surveillance. Specific NHIS Arthritis related questions (ACN.250_00.000 through ACN.295.000) are available [PDF - 2.2Mb] .
More on the impact of arthritis and associated health behaviors:
- Arthritis Prevalence in women and men
- Future Arthritis Burden
- Arthritis-Attributable Limitations
- Specific Functional Limitations Among People with Arthritis
- Excess Body Weight Among People With Arthritis
- Physical Activity Levels Among People With Arthritis
- Causes of Disability Among US Adults
- Cheng YJ, Hootman JM, Murphy LB, Langmaid GA, Helmick CG. Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation — United States, 2007–2009. MMWR 2010;59(39):1261–1265. html pdf [1.61 MB]
- Hootman JM, Helmick CG. Projections of U.S. prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations. Arthritis Rheum 2006;54(1):266–229. abstract
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
What Do You Think
of This Site?
- Arthritis Program
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341-3724
- Phone: 770.488.5464
- Contact CDC-Info