Adenoviruses rarely cause serious illness or death. The viruses cause a wide range of illnesses and symptoms such as
- Sore throat (pharyngitis)
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- Bladder inflammation or infection (cystitis)
- Inflammation of stomach and intestines (gastroenteritis)
- Neurologic disease
Some adenoviruses cause different illnesses depending on the way a person is infected. For example, breathing in adenovirus type 7 can cause severe lower respiratory tract illness. But, swallowing the virus usually doesn’t cause disease or only mild illness.
You can have persistent adenovirus infections of your tonsils, adenoids, and intestines that do not cause symptoms. The virus can be shed for months or years.
Learn more about adenoviruses
- Page last reviewed: December 27, 2011
- Page last updated: December 27, 2011
- Content source: