Stay In Care
Learning about and understanding your health care options will help you manage your HIV infection. Support and resources are available to help you find health care, decide what HIV treatment options are best for you, and stay in care so that you can live a longer and healthier life.
- Understanding Care - Learning about and understanding your medical care options will help you manage your HIV infection. Support is available to help you find medical care, decide what HIV treatment options are best for you, and stay in care so that you can live a longer and healthier life.
- HIV Treatment - HIV treatment involves taking medicines that slow the progression of the virus in your body. HIV is a type of virus called a retrovirus, and the drugs used to treat it are called antiretrovirals (ARV). These drugs are always given in combination with other ARVs; this combination therapy is called antiretroviral therapy (ART). Many ART drugs have been used since the mid-1990s and are the reason why the annual number of deaths related to AIDS has dropped over the past two decades.
- Cost of HIV Treatment - Living with HIV can bring up a lot of questions and concerns, especially about how to pay for treatment. Fortunately, resources and programs are available that may help.
- Related Health Conditions - Living with HIV may put you at a higher risk for developing certain health conditions, including getting a sexually transmitted disease, getting hepatitis, heart disease and oral health problems. Learning more about these conditions, and how to prevent them, will help you maintain your health and live well, beyond HIV.
- Page last reviewed: January 12, 2016
- Page last updated: January 12, 2016
- Content source: